All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently December 6th, 2019, 18:47

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: The Think Tank [retired thread]
PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 04:13 
Scholar

In-game name: SpiffyDrew
Welcome to the the recruitment page for The Think Tank.

Who are we?
We are a small group of players who are dedicated to advancing our skills and the current Scrolls Meta-Game by engaging in advanced theory discussions, deck building challenges and intra-firm matches. We are a mature, family oriented modern style group.

Current Members:

SpiffyDrew (Founder)
DavidSlain
Faderedguy
DvirWi
DrAkula
siRisacc
Ironballs
CrabbitFamiliar
Iwantanickplease / Anoval
VirginSlayer (leave of absence)
Rotzbengel53
Martyj13
PewQ
Badyuyu

SuspenseMusic (Official Videographer Only)

What would you test?
TTT tests all of the current decks against all possible combinations of decks and combos. We work out a Tier structure and decide which deck lies within which tier. With this information we decide on what are the best ways of playing the current meta and how to break the current meta wide open by inserting our well thought out ideas and decks into ranked competition.

Why would I want to join this group?
This will be an elite and mature group of TCG players who are open to sharing and bouncing ideas off of other like minds.
Membership will get you:

1) Access to all players current best decks.
2) The results of test matches in the form of youtube videos, Skype Chat or written reports
3) Access to 3 copies of all the scrolls or assistance in getting them
4) You would be able to call yourself a member of The Think Tank.
5) Awesome points :)

What is expected of me as a member?
As a member you are required to contribute to the team in 5 ways.

1) Be active in the ongoing Skype chat which is dedicated to our current goals as a group.
2) Test at least two games or one majory theory craft point per week.
3) Share with the other members all results from your test games and theory insights. This can be done through video, Google Docs or through Skype Chat.
4) Keep an updated list of all of your main decks in an open Google Docs spreadsheet.
5) Make friends and have fun with all your awesome peers!

What is a theory crafting?
Theory crafting is taking an idea (advanced or beginner) and exploring all aspects of this idea. It can be "Why the center lane is important" to "how do you play against quake?" all the way to "would it be better to cast fertile soil on an already cast 'major creature' or wait a turn to cast a token creature"?

These ideas are important for all of us to better our knowledge of the game and to use these to climb our way up the rankings or to break open the meta game.

What is a test game?
A test game is a match between two members of our Think Tank to answer a specific question.
These questions can be anywhere from "does growth work better by itself or with an order splash" to "is draw GO still a valid deck?".
It can also be just to tweak out current decks to make them the most viable possible.

You will either have to record the game, fill out information on the spreadsheet or give us a general consensus on what happend during the game.

The answers we want to see are:

What were the two decks involved? (deckbuilder links please)
Why are you testing these decks against each other?
What major points can the group take away from this match?
Do you have any questions about the match from your fellow members?

If you aren't up for all that and you just want to get better at playing good decks, then you can assist with someone else's testing by playing a deck that they request you play. You can also spectate (hopefully coming soon) and give us your input on the game as it happens via Skype Chat.

We ask that you keep the specific details of what we learn within our Firm but you are more than welcome to help out others (especially newer players) to answer some pressing questions and problems.

What do I have to do to get in?

As we wish to keep this Think Tank small and keep up our high standards we will only be accepting applications from people who fit the following criteria:

1) You must poses an in game rating of 1700+. This is in to ensure that you understand the game well enough and will be able to contribute to testing at the highest level.
2) A Scrollsguide rank of Spearman or higher. This is to insure that we know you are involved the Scrolls Community as a whole and are willing to have ongoing conversations within The Think Tank.

If you fit these requirements we will then assess your application as a group. If you pass the initial look over we will ask you to either send us an innovative deck or play a few games with one of our group members. This is to make sure you are up to our standards to push this game as far forward as it can go.

How do I apply?
Submit your request in this forum with your in-game name, current rating and ranking and a little blurb about why we should allow you to join our Think Tank. After seeing your post one of the members will send you a PM asking for more information. Please be patient as it will probably take a few days to get back to all applicants.

Thanks for your interest in The Think Tank.

Sorry, but we are no longer accepting open applications. Member suggestions only.

Check us out on Twitter! http://twitter.com/The_Think_Tank_

Look for our New Twitch stream! http://www.twitch.tv/thescrollsthinktank

Scrolls Moderator

Scrollsguide.com Moderator

Founder of The Think Tank

Last edited by SpiffyDrew on November 26th, 2013, 17:28, edited 14 times in total.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The Advancement of Scrolls Development Firm - Think Tank
PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 22:11 
Scholar

We will be joining the ESL tournament to make a name for ourselves. Join up and let's see how far we can go!

Scrolls Moderator

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2013, 19:18 
Skirmisher

In-game name: JosekiTheGreat
ID - JosekiTheGreat
Rating - 1800-1900, depending on how the week is going ;P

I'm a long time competitive player, four-time MTG protour competitor, playedSC2 for Root Gaming, Gold I in LoL, etc. I've worked on and created some of the best MTG decks in the world, and I'm no slouch when it comes to scrolls either. Been looking for people to work on decks/strats with for a while on scrolls but haven't really been able to find anyone.

I have skype, I play regularly, and I'm usually pretty good about analyzing and critiquing gameplay.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2013, 01:15 
Scholar

JosekiTHeGreat is in. It was super awesome to talk with you and I can't wait to work with you some more. Recruiting is still going on and the ideas are coming together.

Scrolls Moderator

PostPosted: September 28th, 2013, 09:00 
Vanguard

Best of luck on the think tank thing. May wanna consider doing podcasts over skype or have a dedicated youtube for test match and discussion uploads--because while im nowhere near your recruitment standards, im interested in learning more about the game.

Doing all this testing and discussion seems like a good source of info towards that purpose.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2013, 09:38 
Vanguard

In-game name: Elianto
Interesting project. I'd like to join but I've still way too few cards to be able to build and test directly many decks.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2013, 14:23 
Scholar

Thanks for that idea mustmask. I do have a YouTube channel and putting up ongoing discussions about a test match is a really good way to get players of all skill levels attention.

I do know that our requirements are high, but that doesn't mean you can't apply. I will look at all applications and have a chat with whoever applies as long as you aren't brand new, clueless etc.

Scrolls Moderator

PostPosted: September 28th, 2013, 18:31 
Vanguard

"...not brand new, clueless, etc."

well we might have a wee problem there. i AM sort of brand new, and the fact that my computer sort of exploded a while ago (i suspect from a short caused by static buildup, given my dog shocking the shit out of things when he gets off the couch) hasn't helped matters much. been posting from my phone or a chromebook normally, and i dont expect to be able to get a new one or this one repaired for many moons yet.

still i'll keep that in mind when i do manage to get everything all working again.

Post subject: Re: The Think Tank
PostPosted: September 28th, 2013, 21:39 
Scholar

Congrats to DavidSlain fr being the newest member of The Think Tank! New ideas keep on popping up!

Scrolls Moderator

PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 16:55 
General

In-game name: davidslain
SpiffyDrew wrote:
Congrats to DavidSlain fr being the newest member of The Think Tank! New ideas keep on popping up!

Thanks Drew- here's to many theorycrafting sessions! *lifts tankard of Dr Pepper*

Pretty, Shiny Things

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 13:41 
Skirmisher

In-game name: DvirWi
Hello, My IGN is "DvirWi", and I play scrolls quite a lot and I understand the game pretty well.
My current rating is 1840, but it is subject to change the more I play, I never went pass 1900+, but I've beaten players from the 2000+ and it wasn't luck, the ranking system just makes it hard for me to go up high.
I might not be able to test too much decks for the guild, but that's because I have a lot of school hours and other stuff to do but playing scrolls, but I'll do my best.
I love playing all sorts of decks and I try to master most of the play-styles that currently rule the Meta, I love testing out new things, and I'd love to get some help with testing things, and also help others find the changing meta decks and develop new playstyles.

*Proud member of The Think Tank!

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 21:28 
Vanguard

In-game name: Oldhammer
Need to get that 1700 then.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2013, 03:16 
Scholar

App looks good DvirWi...I will be contacting you shortly to set up an initial meeting.

Scrolls Moderator

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 01:54 
Skirmisher

In-game name: faderedguy
I would absolutely love to join as I need more practice mates and theorycrafting buddies but I'm not 1700 rating yet (1685 atm) >.<
But I have beaten quite a few of 1700+ rating players :D does that count?hahaha

I'm an avid strategy player in the past (I played starcraft 2 in the diamond league but was inactive due to scrolls ) and i'm quite friendly
also I play mono decay & mono order as my main decks ;)

P.S I have a replay of me playing against such players if you want, just tell me :)

PostPosted: October 14th, 2013, 02:37 
Scholar

fadedredguy...I'll be contacting you via p.m. soon to discuss more.

Scrolls Moderator

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next