All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently December 14th, 2019, 00:17

Post subject: The Think Tank [Open]
PostPosted: January 21st, 2014, 20:32 
General

In-game name: davidslain

Welcome to the the recruitment page for The Think Tank.

We are a small group of players who are dedicated to advancing our skills and the current Scrolls Meta-Game by engaging in advanced theory discussions, deck building challenges and intra-firm matches. We are a mature, community-oriented modern group.

Current Members:
DavidSlain (Head of Guild)
SpiffyDrew (Founder)
Badyuyu (Second in Command)
Iwantanickplease / Anoval
Faderedguy
DvirWi
DrAkula
siRisacc
CrabbitFamiliar
Rotzbengel53
Martyj13
PewQ
Valhalla
Dodder
Paralykeet
HovrG
4Robato
Diafebus
Donkey74
Phobophile
Ironballs
PeeFuu
Dark_Lord_Gaol
Danatron1
lllMark
Ortheous
monman11
Seph_ITA

VirginSlayer (leave of absence)

TTT tests current decks against all possible combinations of decks and combos. With this information we decide on what are the best ways of playing the current meta and how to break the current meta wide open by inserting our well thought out ideas and decks into ranked competition. Furthermore, it is our goal to create a morphic environment within ranked play, so the only meta is that there is no meta.

Why would I want to join this group?
This will be an elite and mature group of TCG players who are open to sharing and bouncing ideas off of other like minds, whose goal is the development and breaking of the metagame.

Above and beyond this primary goal is the enhancement of the Scrolls community. We only accept players that fit within our group dynamic. Fortunately, we're a bunch of friendly guys, so that's most people.

Membership will get you:
:growth Access to all players current best decks.
:order The results of test matches in the form of youtube videos, Skype Chat or written reports
:energy Access to 3 copies of all the scrolls or assistance in getting them
:decay You would be able to call yourself a member of The Think Tank.
:growth Awesome points :)

What is expected of me as a member?
As a member you are required to contribute to the team in 5 ways.
:order Be active in the ongoing Skype chat which is dedicated to our current goals as a group.
:energy Test at least two games or one major theory craft point per week.
:decay Share with the other members all results from your test games and theory insights. This can be done through video, Google Docs or through Skype Chat.
:growth Keep an updated list of all of your main decks in a thread on or private section of ScrollsGuide
:order Make friends and have fun with all your awesome peers!

What is theory crafting?
Theory crafting is taking an idea (advanced or beginner) and exploring all aspects of this idea. It can be "Why the center lane is important" to "how do you play against quake?" all the way to "would it be better to cast fertile soil on an already cast 'major creature' or wait a turn to cast a token creature"?
These ideas are important for all of us to better our knowledge of the game and to use these to climb our way up the rankings or to break open the meta game.

What is a test game?
A test game is a match between two members of our Think Tank to answer a specific question.
These questions can be anywhere from "does growth work better by itself or with an order splash" to "is draw GO still a valid deck?".
It can also be just to tweak out current decks to make them the most viable possible.

You will either have to record the game, (doable through NoHero's replay mod) fill out information on the spreadsheet (google docs link provided backstage) or give us a general consensus on what happened during the game.

The answers we want to see are:
What were the two decks involved? (deckbuilder links please)
Why are you testing these decks against each other?
What major points can the group take away from this match?
Do you have any questions about the match from your fellow members?

If you aren't up for all that and you just want to get better at playing good decks, then you can assist with someone else's testing by playing a deck that they request you play. You can also spectate and give us your input on the game as it happens via Skype Chat.

We ask that you keep the specific details of what we learn within our little family but we also encourage you to help out others (especially newer players) to answer some questions and solve some problems. We are a guild focused on the betterment of the game, for the benefit of all players.

What do I have to do to get in?
As we wish to keep this guild fairly elite, we have the following recruiting criteria:

:energy You must possess an in game rating of 1600+ and have played at least 250 games. This is in to ensure that you understand the game well enough and will be able to contribute to testing at the highest level.
:decay A Scrollsguide rank of Spearman or higher, or an equivalent amount of activity on one of the other community boards. This is to insure that we know you are involved the Scrolls Community as a whole and are willing to have ongoing conversations within The Think Tank.

If you fit these requirements we will then assess your application as a group. If you pass the initial look over we will ask you to play a few games with a couple of our group members using an innovative and original deck. This is to make sure you are up to our standards to push this game as far forward as it can go. Victory isn't necessary, we just want to get a feel for how you play. :)

How do I apply?
Submit your request in this forum with your in-game name, current rating and ranking and a little blurb about why we should allow you to join our Think Tank. After seeing your post one of the members will send you a PM asking for more information. Please be patient as it will probably take a few days to get back to all applicants.

Thanks for your interest in The Think Tank.

Check us out on Twitter!

Subscribe to our Twitch stream!

Pretty, Shiny Things

Last edited by davidslain on February 14th, 2015, 18:29, edited 16 times in total.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The Think Tank
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 15:55 
Infantryman

In-game name: Sekuso
Seems like a cool guild. Is it active?

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 16:07 
General

Sekuso wrote:
Seems like a cool guild. Is it active?

Yes, yes it is.

Pretty, Shiny Things

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 18:32 
Scholar

In-game name: Valhalla
taking any more yet? :)

The Think Tank

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 18:37 
General

valhalla wrote:
taking any more yet? :)

Yes, yes we are.

Pretty, Shiny Things

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 19:02 
Scholar

Can I apply Please ^ ^ I've been patiently waiting

The Think Tank

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 20:25 
Scholar

In-game name: SpiffyDrew
Yes we are active and we boast a stable full of arguably the best players in the game with a litany ofprevious accolades. We've been quiet lately due to holidays and schooling but we are back in full force. If you have the qualifications to get in, this is THE guild to join if you are a top player.

Scrolls Moderator

Scrollsguide.com Moderator

Founder of The Think Tank

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 21:06 
Scholar

davidslain wrote:
How do I apply?
Submit your request in this forum with your in-game name, current rating and ranking and a little blurb about why we should allow you to join our Think Tank. After seeing your post one of the members will send you a PM asking for more information. Please be patient as it will probably take a few days to get back to all applicants.

IGN: Valhalla
Current Rating: 876

BLURB: First I will say I am aware of my rating and that it is no where close to what your requirements are. However, I will attempt to use my jedi mind tricks to convince you. I am very active on the fourms, and judgement is my forte. I am a huge fan of the format and have wrote guides and given my 2 cents worth. Before the reset I was at 1700, and since then I have been playing judgement with a win rate of 75% (verified by my history). My overall win rate is 72% which I like to think is a decent piece of evidence of my understanding of the game.

I have been helpful to new players, and recently took one to mentor. I love this game and would also look forward to joining the guild that I have been patiently waiting for an opening for a while now. For now I hope you consider this, and I will attempt to play a few ranked games when I next get the chance ;)

The Think Tank

PostPosted: January 28th, 2014, 16:26 
General

Welcome Valhalla! You kicked butt, took names, and now you're IN!

Pretty, Shiny Things

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 19:59 
General

Welcome Dodder! Thanks for joining up with us!

Pretty, Shiny Things

PostPosted: January 31st, 2014, 21:29 
Vanguard

In-game name: 13Thirteen
I doubt I would ever meet those req's (I dunno which seems more daunting to me... 1700 rank or 250 games played... I bet I could achieve the former before the latter).

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 00:35 
General

In-game name: Paralykeet
13Thirteen wrote:
I doubt I would ever meet those req's (I dunno which seems more daunting to me... 1700 rank or 250 games played... I bet I could achieve the former before the latter).

I was inactive from 2 weeks post-Decay update until just a few days ago in terms of ranked matches, and I have 448 games (70 ranked wins) under my belt. If I call 1/10th of my games test games with AI to try new archetypes and cards- then I've played 300+ real games (Ranked used to make me very nervous, so when Quick Matches existed- I played those often,) and I don't consider myself a particular good Scrolls player. What I mean to get around, is 250 games isn't a hard bar to hop, as long as you can tolerate the painfully long queues because of the relative inactivity of the game.

EDIT: I forgot about my smurf too xD Yay, Scrolls

Check out my Community of Heroes project :D
Erratakeet Strikes!

Post subject: Re: The Think Tank [open]
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 20:59 
General

In-game name: Paralykeet
After thinking about it, I'd like join if possible, the 1700 thing is pretty obsolete, but I intend to be climbing more frequently, so getting to a respectable rank shouldn't be trouble.

Check out my Community of Heroes project :D
Erratakeet Strikes!

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 17:33 
General

Updated entry requirements, and congrats Badyuyu on your promotion to Second-in-Command!

Pretty, Shiny Things

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 19:03 
Spearman

In-game name: Azrail
im not cool enough!