All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently April 17th, 2014, 10:36

Post subject: Scrolls Panel News
PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 00:18 
General

In-game name: Blinky
My fellow Scrolldiers,

As you may well be aware Minecon 2013 happened last weekend. Sadly they were unable to find time to stream the Scrolls Panel and very little has been heard about what actually happened during those 40 minutes, until now. Carnalizer hopped into general-3 this evening and was kind enough to answer a few of our questions. Below is the transcript of the chat between Carnazlier and whoever else was in general-3 at the time.

kbasten: Hey carnalizer :)
carnalizer: Hey hey kbasten!
carnalizer: Sup?
kbasten: Not much!
kbasten: Making SG stuff
kbasten: How's you after Minecon?
carnalizer: Recovering. :)
kbasten: Ah very much looking forward to the replay
carnalizer: I saw you tweet about tedious sg coding? What are you up to?
kbasten: No big reveals though, huh?
kbasten: Ooh
kbasten: You must've missed all the cool things :)
carnalizer: I saw the judgement simulator. Very neat!
kbasten: We have a Judgement simulator online + a second judgement version which implements all the community suggestions
kbasten: Yes :)
kbasten: And just now we've added the in-game avatars + match history to in-game profiles
kbasten: With the bobbly-head animations that make it great :)
carnalizer: Nice!
carnalizer: What community suggestions did you implement?
kbasten: Let's see
kbasten: No same scrolls on 1 row
kbasten: 4 visible rows instead of three
kbasten: 50 rows instead of 45
kbasten: rows are grouped by rarity
Bossdaddy: Hey baby
kbasten: So you'll first get 1 row of rares, then 3 commons, then 1 uncommon, then 3 commons, then 1 uncommon then 1 common, repeat
kbasten: or something like that, much like the 7/2/1 division of rarities in the store
carnalizer: IC
carnalizer: yeah you don't want the same number of rares and uncommons
kbasten: First impressions are very very good
kbasten: What do you mean?
carnalizer: What effects do you see on judgement after those changes?
kbasten: It's much more balanced
kbasten: Because you can't end up with a rare in every row for example
kbasten: Same for commons, too
carnalizer: ooh, sorry I can't read, I read 1r,1u,3c repeat... :P
kbasten: Ooh :p
kbasten: No, it's actually 1 row of rares per 10
kbasten: The extra 5 rows make up for the fewer rares that you get
kbasten: Not completely, but a little
kbasten: So there's more diversity
carnalizer: My suggestion would have been to increase rare/uncommon ratio in judgement to combat sameness and keep the crazy decks coming.
kbasten: That sounds good as well
kbasten: It's more that it's not as divided though, that's the point of grouping the rarities
kbasten: So you can't just keep picking the rares
kbasten: But maybe 2 rows of rares per 10 would be bettery
carnalizer: I'd say we're soon ready to do an evaluation of judgment and make some changes.
Anander: for the better? :D
kbasten: Sounds good :)
carnalizer: yeah that sounds good. adjusting both ends so to speak.
kbasten: Keep it in mind :)
kbasten: yeah
joeymoto108: hey mods
kbasten: Any noteworthy mention from the Minecon panel maybe? :)
kbasten: hey joeymoto108! :D
joeymoto108: any updates soon?
joeymoto108: ?
kbasten: Let's hope for it! :)
carnalizer: Many hours of photage to process. It'll come.
carnalizer: We talked about the set we're currently working on. Comes with 3 new keywords.
carnalizer: Jon talked about the AI.
Anander: is there any possibility that there will be a new mechanic like getting access to the graveyard or searching for specific cards during a game?
carnalizer: Lets see... some audience questions. Never got around to the SG ones. Panels were shorter than expected.
carnalizer: I want to do a post on scrolls.com or a stream or something of the sg Qs.
Blinky: Hey, I heard a rumour that there was some sexy carnazlier chat going on? :)
DynamicRay: carnalizer, someone announced your presence in trading-1
carnalizer: Anander: Not in the immediate future, but eventually.
kbasten: That sounds good
carnalizer: hey Blinky, what r you wearing?
Rly_Osim: lol
Filman: lol
Sebastjan: ...?
Blinky: less than I was a minute ago
carnalizer: oooooh
Snakemaster: wooooah 3 special people on at once :D
carnalizer: Anander: We have other reasons for making library+discard visible (as in 'how many is in them'), but actual browsing carries many dangers.
fomtg: wow, today I'm lucky, I ended up in the channel with some interesting discussion :p
DynamicRay: I think i missed most of it :(
carnalizer: hey fomtg
fomtg: hey :)
Raider: hello !
Rly_Osim: as development progresses will you eventually be doing visual upgrades for the older cards? or even visual upgrades for the game in general?
Rly_Osim: (looks great btw! just curious!)
carnalizer: Rly_Osim: We try to make small changes to the worst bits without disrupting production too much.
fomtg: yeah a post on scrolls.com or at least anything about what have been said during minecon's scrolls panel would be much appreciated :p
carnalizer: Rly_Osim: I know junkboy is itching to give the arena an overhaul
Rly_Osim: ty for your response :)
carnalizer: :)
Raider: Is there gonna be a new scrolls set in the near future? ;)
carnalizer: More questions while I'm here?
DynamicRay: Any bonus spoilers off of the image poi posted?
kbasten: The qeustions, you mean, fomth
Sebastjan: will there ever be neutral cost scrolls?
carnalizer: Raider: yes. Now define 'near future'!
Raider: Within the next month?
Filman: 2 months?
Raider: Or two
Sebastjan: i think the judgement is suffering from not having neutral resource scrolls
fomtg: kbasten: well, questions and answers :p
carnalizer: DynamicRay: The image poi posted contains a lot of new units that we'll start adding code to asap. Assets are done.
Filman: nice :D
DynamicRay: ohh nice.
WWinters: The new units look great BTW
fomtg: * switches back to twitter :p
carnalizer: Raider: Then the answer is closer to no, with slight chance of maybe.
DynamicRay: Order seems to have a lot of new soldiers
Raider: ah okay, thanks.
Raider: Where can i view these updated/images or whatever you guys are talking about
DynamicRay: I'm a little more curious about decay's wolf and longnose, and that capsule beetle in energy
Filman: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYdLRJRCMAAoeK_.png:large
Filman: not very usefull here but...
carnalizer: I'd like to do an update before christmas, but that'd mean we have to split the planned release. We'll see. Announcements to come when decisions are made.
Filman: we prefer late but solid :)
Filman: imo
fomtg: I have another question: are sets going to have pretty names in the future, rather than set#4, set#5 etc. :p
DynamicRay: I don't mind the wait as long as we have some updates every once in a while
carnalizer: Sebastjan: I really want neutral cost scrolls. BUT, we also really don't want to add a step where you select which resource to use.
DynamicRay: Yeah, that would be a hassle. multi-resource scrolls would actually be comparatively easier
carnalizer: Sebastjan: In short, yes eventually, but we've been struggling with the design of them for a long time.
carnalizer: DynamicRay: True, but I hate multiresource cards. They're evil.
WWinters: Hmm, maybe have a selectable default resource to use, that can be changed at any time if you wish... may be more cumbersome UI wise, not sure
carnalizer: DynamicRay: Might happen anyway sometime...
DynamicRay: hehe. what makes them so evil? I can think of a few things
DynamicRay: difficulty to balance being one...
Raider: Will the judgement rewards system be tweaked at all? I know theres quite a few people complaining about it
Filman: A question that was already discussed a million times but....An android version, is in Mojangs plans?
carnalizer: DynamicRay: They're evil bc they dictate your deck building, whereas the beauty of ccgs should be the freedom to experiment.
DynamicRay: true. unless there was a lot of them to work with, they would start pulling decks to revolve around them
carnalizer: DynamicRay: They're essentially a new resource, without the combinatorial goodness.
Sebastjan: I agree the multi-resource scrolls take away some of the freedom to building decks.
carnalizer: Raider: Most likely.
DynamicRay: there is fun to be had in building a deck around something, as long as there are multiple ways to go at it
DynamicRay: though it's usually an idea decks are built around
carnalizer: Filman: we definitely want Scrolls on pads. So an android version is plausible.
Filman: i thin it would definitly BOOST the number of active players
DynamicRay: I spent a while getting hammered attempting to build a OD deck in the vein of GO-Joes
Filman: *i think
carnalizer: We might hold off on pad version until it's closer to done though so might be a while.
Filman: but i understand that is not easy to implement
carnalizer: Filman: It also very much gives us head ache around the payment model...
DynamicRay: Have rumors of F2P been highly exxagerated?
Filman: exactly
Raider: want to play a game carn? ;)
carnalizer: DynamicRay: Yes.
Metzel: Do you know of any plans incentivising new players to join or old players to rejoin except for more/better content? Is that maybe planned for after beta?
DynamicRay: kind of sad
fomtg: carnalizer: do you have an answer to my question as well? :)
fomtg: (are future sets going to have pretty names rather than just numbers?)
carnalizer: Raider: sure, in say 5 mins.
Raider: Cool, I'll do a trial in the mean time
carnalizer: fomtg: Yes. The next set is called "Rebellion"
fomtg: awesome! :) although I knew it for the next one :p
Sebastjan: My favourite by far is still Growth just because it's based on nordic mythology.
Filman: the number of active player is above, below, very below or OK compared to mojang expectations?
carnalizer: Metzel: It's obvious that we have to give it some thought, like RIGHT NOW, but nothing concrete today.
Metzel: alright thanks :)
DynamicRay: Any hints on the hinted upon massive growth creature? and how is it intended to deal with removal?
DynamicRay: Temporary spell shield?
Filman: Removal --- Untainted :)
carnalizer: DynamicRay: Re ftp; it could happen. But it was kinda blown out of proportion, and it's not in our current plans.
DynamicRay: ah, ok.
carnalizer: DynamicRay: The massive G creat is one of four "Unique", one in each faction. You'll only be able to have one on the board at a time. Abt removal, we'll have to see after testing some more.
Matoc13: woa legends
Filman: thats good news :)
DynamicRay: yeah
Sebastjan: where's the rumors for this massive creature?
WWinters: :)
DynamicRay: Removal is a pain to balance around, massively more so in Scrolls with it's tactical positioning
carnalizer: Ok guys. I'm gonna teach Raider a lesson. Be back in 5, 10 mins tops. :P

Later on the chat continued after taking two losses with his 3 colour enchantment deck.

carnalizer: That's two defeats. Safe to say that enchantments aren't a thing. I want to change that!
carnalizer: How?
Blinky: bigger enchantments
Blinky: give something 6/6 for 1 or something :)
carnalizer: I'm thinking enchantment synergies. Triggered abilities on enchantments.
Blinky: would be cool
carnalizer: it'd be nice to not have to change all old enchantments.
Blinky: take inspiration from kor spiritdancer in mtg
Blinky: obv not as powerful but along those lines
carnalizer: "Magic Fiary Berzerk Dude gets +1/+2 for each enchantment on it."
carnalizer: googling...
Blinky: also make untainted give an ability that gives un targetable thing
Blinky: then a creature can have it like a creature would have relentless
Blinky: to put it clearer, a creature can come in enchanted with untainted effectively
carnalizer: Oh nice
Blinky: like you did with armor :)
carnalizer: "When Freaky Wizard gets enchanted all your units count down.
carnalizer: "
Blinky: oh god
Blinky: youve taken them pills again havent you
carnalizer: I should have taken the blue pill
Blinky: indeed you should have
DynamicRay: Adding card draw to one-off enchantments really offsets the potential card loss, though it can easily turn into a cycling tool.
carnalizer: Remember that cointoss idol destroyer spell? I think someone already put it in the ideas pile. :/
Blinky: yay
Blinky: though just get rid of coin toss
Blinky: :)
Blinky: or random idol so there is a chance you blow up yor own also
Blinky: would be amazing
DynamicRay: euhhh
carnalizer: yeah that's what I meant.
DynamicRay: Random chance win or losses feel really off to me
carnalizer: Ok, my date is here. Laters.

Poi was also kind enough to share some new art with us all depicting lots of new and unseen scrolls that are due to be coded and added to the test server as soon as possible. *Warning, contains Spoilers, duh*

As soon as we get wind of more news regarding the panel we will let you know, of course when the video for the panel is finally released we will add it to the site for your viewing pleasure.

Until next time

Blinky + Team SG
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Scrolls Panel News
PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 00:37 
Scholar

In-game name: Acidjib
Yay! The Acidmaton (which has been renamed twice :( ) is spoilt now!

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 00:38 
General

In-game name: davidslain
Well, that's certainly interesting news. Liking legendary units.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 02:23 
Scholar

In-game name: SpiffyDrew
finially some concrete info...I would love him to do a twitch q&a for all of us who couldnt make it to minecon. I would have liked to found out about rankings stuff mainly.

Scrolls Moderator

Scrollsguide.com Moderator

Founder of The Think Tank

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 04:15 
Spearman

In-game name: uwlryoung
I like the idea of neutral scrolls, and in fact in the scrolls design competition I introduced it in my final scroll (although it sounds as though you were brewing that idea before I posted it). What I am saying is I have thought about it too.

AND it sounds as though you are worried about using multi-resources for such neutral scrolls, which I agree, that sounds tricky to let the person decide "Ok, I'm going to pay for this with 1 order, 2 decay, and 1 growth" or whatever they choose...

SO, I suggest, if it is a neutral spell, make it so they have to pay the cost in full in only ONE resource. For example, if the cost is 5Neutral Resource, then the player can choose to pay 5 order, or 5 growth, or 5 decay, or 5 energy. Obviously, they will pay with whatever they are working with.

I think it is a good idea to have neutral scrolls because I get the feeling that there are some concepts to cards that could easily be related to all factions, and if that is the case, how do you decide which resource to give it to? This would make that decision much easier.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 04:36 
Vanguard

In-game name: Schtauffen
LEGENDARY UNITS!!! :O

I like the idea of color-neutral cards as opposed to multi-source.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 05:07 
Vanguard

In-game name: Schtauffen
@kbasten: I think another thing you could try with the experimental judgement is something where instead of rows by rarity, have it so you're 50% more likely to get rares towards the beginning of the draft, scaling so by the end the E[# Rares] is still the same. I feel like since rares have a huge impact on your strategy they should come earlier.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 06:36 
Scholar

In-game name: siRisacc
yay thank you carnalizer!

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:37 
Skirmisher

In-game name: DvirWi
I'm very excited!
The improvement on judjment will be awesome! It's good that Mojang is looking into some community ideas :)
Nuetrall scrolls - Oh the potential. I assume making a deck build only with nuetral scrolls will fail really hard, but it might be fun, I wonder if there will be any high cost nuetral scrolls, cuz the higher you go in resources, the more the card starts to fit a certain faction.

*Proud member of The Think Tank!

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:44 
General

In-game name: Blinky
Personally I don't want to see neutral scrolls, I want to see dual colour scrolls instead however I think those can wait until a few more sets have been released

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:53 
Spearman

In-game name: Orangee
Blinky wrote:
Personally I don't want to see neutral scrolls, I want to see dual colour scrolls instead however I think those can wait until a few more sets have been released

I agree with you Blinky! Neutral Scrolls will be weird i think. Ducal color scrolls can be fun, but not sure. It depends on how they work. If they du make dual color, it would be best to wait a while!

Warm N Fuzzy Guild
Website - Twitch - Orangee - Purplee

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 12:02 
Scholar

In-game name: Ironballs
Personally, I'd rather see more continued and interesting options for ramping, namely something other than memorials for crossplay between order, energy and growth. This to me would be much better than both neutral and/or dual colored cards. I very much like the direction that they took with cards like vigor extraction and darkstrike. They open up a whole new metagame where the possibilities for crossplay have increased dramatically.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 16:05 
Vanguard

In-game name: Arc_Proxima
I would really like some input as to where the dev's stand on the current card trading system.

The last time I heard anything from them a markedplace was not a priority. But this is several months ago. Does the dev's still have the same view?

A marketplace would make life so much more easyer for new players. Now they have to find their way trough a spammy chat and third party sites. IMHO Card trading should be a core function in a CCG.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 20:32 
Newcomer

In-game name: Frostbrynger
ArcProxima wrote:
I would really like some input as to where the dev's stand on the current card trading system.

There was a comment on this recently on reddit by carnalizer: http://www.reddit.com/r/Scrolls/comment ... t_to_play/

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 20:52 
Vanguard

In-game name: Arc_Proxima
Thanks, so, seems like they are still not working on it.

Thats a bummer.