All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently January 26th, 2020, 14:50

Post subject: A little treat
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 08:06 
Newcomer

In-game name: JahKob
Hey guys. Just wanted to hook you up with a screenshot i just took aswell as tell you that we will soon be updating scrolls.com with more information as we are now getting closer to the closed alpha.

On the screenshot you can see me playing against a robot on medium difficulty. It is my turn and i am just summoning a Royal Vanguard. The Royal Vanguard comes into play with 3 attack power, 5 life and a Countdown of 2 (meaning he attacks every other turn).
Every time Royal Vanguard attacks, his attack power increases by 1. He also has Relentless, wich means he will always deal his full amount of damage, regardless if his blocker dies or not.

Here is the screenshot:

That was all =)
Have a great day!

@JahKob
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A little treat
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 09:15 
Administrator

In-game name: kbasten
Haha, looking great so far! Really looking forward to the update on the website :)

Can you give an estimate on how far you're in this match (percentage-wise)? It seems like most of the Idols still have full health, but your opponent seems to have a good shot on the lower few Idols of yours.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 09:21 
General

In-game name: selebu
Hey JahKob,

thank you very much for the info and the screenshot. Looks really polished now!
Only thing I'm wondering is why there are scrolls in the top of the screen and the bottom left. Is this like a discard pile?

Nothing more to add. Really looking forward to updates and possibly Alpha invite ;)

Cheers!

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 09:46 
Newcomer

The scrolls in the top right area of the screen, are the scrolls played by my opponent during his last round. A history list in other words.

The one on the bottom left is just being cast by mysel. It animates from my portrait to my (currently non existing) history on the top left of the screen.

This match is about 50% in or so. The Idols hasnt been damaged alot. Been more like a struggle for board controll.
A few rounds after this one, i got my killer combo set up and won the game in about 3-4 rounds.

The combo i used is a bit broken at the moment and needs to be nerfed though =)

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 10:08 
General

Thanks for the answer. I like that feature.
So would you say a game of Scrolls currently lasts for about 15 turns? Something along that line? (and how long is this in minutes?) :)
Just curious about how long a typical game will take us. Also interesting as a viewer sport.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 12:20 
Skirmisher

yay scrolls picture yay its almost here!!! do you think it will be out for in alpha for maybe june or july

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 14:14 
Vanguard

In-game name: ScrollsTheGame
Every time I see a snap shot I get more and more exited for Alpha.. keep up the good work

oh and someone should edit the wiki because i am too lazy to do it

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 16:31 
Scholar

In-game name: ElectricGar
The battle field shrank. Will there be different sizes or will they all be this new size?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 17:55 
General

Also the orientation of the hexagons changed.
Which could mean that units will really attack in a straight line now! (not like one line above and below as well)

how did I not see this at first glance? lol

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 18:28 
Newcomer

The alpha is actually approaching quite rapidly. This is something we will announce on the new scrolls.com update (hopefully this week).

Yes we made the game board smaller. First of all, the larger board left a lot of dead space that was completely unused and made moving units less interesting. This way, moving your units has a bigger impact on the outcome. It also makes your tiles a resource on their own, as you have less to work with.
For instance, you will quickly find that placing three structures on the same row to be a baaaaad idea, as since they cant move, you will divide you board in half. So even if you clear the idols on one side, your units who destroyed those idols are now useless as you can't move the to attack the remaining ones.

As for turning the hexagons 90 degrees, it simplified the attacks a whole lot. Before, it was hard to judge the outcome of an attack. Most of the time you kinda gave up and thought "I'm sure I'll do SOME damage", and that obviously is very poor design for a strategy game.

Also, I can tell you that we currently have about 120 different scrolls divided among three different resources. We absolutely plan to add some more before we start selling the game, but this is enough to get some dynamic gameplay.

We have held quite a few tournaments at the office, and we have had winning decks in all different resources, as well as decks with mixed resources.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 19:21 

In-game name: ShdwFlm
Wow, what an awesome treat! :) Thanks JahKob!

I really like the choices regarding tile rotation and a more compact board. The previous tile rotation was rather perplexing, so it's good to know you guys are watching for these things. =)

JahKob wrote:
...we currently have about 120 different scrolls divided among three different resources.
Three resources? Hmm, does that mean units using Energy Image are now using Order Image ?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 20:54 
Newcomer

Nice screenshot!

I can't wait anymore to test it :)

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 21:46 
General

Oh another answer. Thanks for the clarifications. I really appreciate every info you give us :)

ShdwFlm wrote:
JahKob wrote:
...we currently have about 120 different scrolls divided among three different resources.
Three resources? Hmm, does that mean units using Energy Image are now using Order Image ?

I understood it that they did not start making scrolls for energy yet. As a deliberate choice to have a higher amount for the other resources to start with.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 21:52 
Administrator

In-game name: kbasten
selebu wrote:
I understood it that they did not start making scrolls for energy yet.
Whoa, good one! Maybe they went for balancing the other three first, before creating scrolls for the fourth.

Now we're talking about this: do you expect a type of gameplay where the number of resources is limited, for example two out of four, or three out of four?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 22:30 
Newcomer

In-game name: Eyepoke
I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. Can't wait!