All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently November 19th, 2017, 21:01

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scrolls Test Server Spoilers 0.95.1
PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 16:10 
Vanguard

In-game name: Harpia
heatzz wrote:
mythcaptor wrote:
Something I'm not sure people realize is that this is a balance patch. People are complain that "Oh growth got the crappy cards, oh hag sucks", but this is deliberate. In the current meta, growth dominates, followed by order, and finally energy. Doesn't it make sense that energy get the strongest cards, order get good cards, and growth get the weakest of the batch? It's not like growth needs an extra advantage.

Balance patch? It's not, at least it's not balancing the current cards...

It doesn't means those energy cards can counter growth, instead those new energy cards can hurts order more.

Besides everybody is already shifting towards Growth so what's the point in adding afew new cards?

Mojang has been quoted before as saying that nerfing directly (i.e. cards themselves) is a last resort. Therefore, it stands to reason that they will prefer a more level balance of power through the introduction of new cards.
  Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 17:31 
Infantryman

In-game name: justmilkey
Harpia wrote:
heatzz wrote:
mythcaptor wrote:
Something I'm not sure people realize is that this is a balance patch. People are complain that "Oh growth got the crappy cards, oh hag sucks", but this is deliberate. In the current meta, growth dominates, followed by order, and finally energy. Doesn't it make sense that energy get the strongest cards, order get good cards, and growth get the weakest of the batch? It's not like growth needs an extra advantage.

Balance patch? It's not, at least it's not balancing the current cards...

It doesn't means those energy cards can counter growth, instead those new energy cards can hurts order more.

Besides everybody is already shifting towards Growth so what's the point in adding afew new cards?

Mojang has been quoted before as saying that nerfing directly (i.e. cards themselves) is a last resort. Therefore, it stands to reason that they will prefer a more level balance of power through the introduction of new cards.

I see, that's gonna take some time before more new cards are gonna introduce, guess the word "Adapt" is what we must learn if you are staying royal to your resource/faction.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 20:33 
General

In-game name: Zylus
The thing with balancing through introduction of new scrolls is, you can't nerf - only buff. That's why Energy got the strongest new scrolls - they are meant to be played in the current meta to make Energy slightly more powerful, while the growth scrolls are basically not top-tier scrolls, meaning they won't see play in classic competitive play, therefore not buffing Growth.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 22:09 
Newcomer

In-game name: Rob7045713
Zylus wrote:
The thing with balancing through introduction of new scrolls is, you can't nerf - only buff.

You can introduce soft / hard counters if you want to nerf something. For example, they could make a scroll that says "Deals 1 damage to target unit 3 times", which would a nerf to Waking Stones / Potion of Resistance.

I would also argue that Metal Wonder is a nerf to the GO draw archetype as a whole.

Post subject: Re: Six new scrolls on test server
PostPosted: June 30th, 2013, 06:55 
Newcomer

In-game name: Zougkla
Gwildorix wrote:
My personal take on them:
* Metal Wonder is another good Energy scroll. I don't know if it will be played a lot, but it seems like a good scroll to play against the spell/enchantment heavy decks. Nice to get one out early if you get it alive. But we also see more randomness, and a lot of players seem to dislike that already for the Mortar.

I agree, I avoid Hellspitter and Charge Coil like the plague because they are unreliable. I hope they change it to be non random.

Perhaps it could do 1 damage to the idle in its row or something...

Post subject: Re: Six new scrolls on test server
PostPosted: June 30th, 2013, 08:45 
Newcomer

In-game name: Chris_Phelior
Zougkla wrote:
I avoid Hellspitter and Charge Coil like the plague...

I can understand avoiding Charge Coil (Can't be used as a wall, dies to Quake), but why avoid Hellspitter? It's a 6 Health wall for 3. Sometimes it even instakills a unit.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2013, 12:38 
Newcomer

In-game name: Zougkla
Ya, I wish it wasn't such a good wall. Then I wouldn't feel bad about refusing to use it, but I don't want to win games because of some 1 in 15 chance that I got lucky on. That happened a few times in my early days and I said screw that!

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 13:42 
Scholar

In-game name: SpiffyDrew
Automata forge looks to me like the linchpin to a new archetype. EG walls ranged energy buffs and just ping people to death. I know there is a lobber ranged deck but splash in growth for a little added draw power and it gets nasty. I guess you could also use order as well for removal and draw power...all I know is that it needs another resource to be a viable archetype.

Scrolls Moderator

Scrollsguide.com Moderator

Founder of The Think Tank

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 14:30 
Vanguard

In-game name: Harpia
Zougkla wrote:
Ya, I wish it wasn't such a good wall. Then I wouldn't feel bad about refusing to use it, but I don't want to win games because of some 1 in 15 chance that I got lucky on. That happened a few times in my early days and I said screw that!

You need to use it more. People remember what it rarely, positively, does in battle and all too easily forget what it doesn't do very often (hit). :P

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 15:40 
Newcomer

In-game name: Syntax41
If I read that right, Faith Duty will be awesome in a growth/order deck. Play this on durable unit along with Elan Vital and your opponent's entire row will be frozen until the unit is killed or they use a card to decrease cooldown. +1 cooldown per turn equals a perpetual countdown right?

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 17:44 
Spearman

In-game name: Lateralus
Rahnza wrote:
BarleyBeast wrote:
Yeah I play Growth and am very disapointed right now.

Oh well, I guess Growth can't get an "I Win" card every update. Stag Heart is great.

Rensje wrote:
I really don't know what Mojang were thinking when they designed Wings Shield. It's completely ridiculous in my opinion.

Maybe they were thinking "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Order won some games occasionally?"

Rensje wrote:
If they're going to go this route, they should at least give Growth some sort of removal.

Like, oh I don't know, Quake?

Rensje wrote:
an enchantment that is completely terrible on its own.

That's the point. That's like complaining that the Honorable General is terrible on its own. It's a card that increases in power and rewards playing well; sorry it's not "place this enchantment on your great wolf and instantly win the game."

Rensje wrote:
I don't use the term OP lightly, but Wings Shield is OP in my book. Very, very OP.

Looooool.

you sound like a very bitter Order player lol

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 21:55 
Spearman

In-game name: DynastyStar
I personally agree that they should focus on introducing more cards, though It'd be nice if they made a huge balance patch like.. once every 6+ months or something on things that are CLEARLY a problem. If they don't, then the risk of power creep is VERY high, which I'm not fond of power creep.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 04:04 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Feldhaus
Gun Automatons should be nerfed to 2 health with the new cards. If your enemy has like 5 of them on the board they should at least be in quake range. With all the walls that energy has it is already nearly impossible to clear their board.

Also: Metal Wonder is the death of GO Draw and any other Spell/enchantment heavy deck. Make it 3 Health like charge coils or 1 dmg to the idol on the same row like someone suggested, that sounds fair to me.

If the scrolls stay like this we will see a giant meta shift towards mono Energy or E/O Defense.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 08:50 
Spearman

These scrolls are interesting, looks like growth got the short end of the stick this time.
Energy got 1 awesome scroll which is the forge, should replace hellspitter mortars in energy decks from now on 1 less health is definitely worth it for what you get. And the metal wonder is single handedly gonna beat the draw go deck (Growth/ Order ramp).

I think both order cards are interesting, not sure how playable they will be though. The wing shield could easily replace waking stones.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 09:18 
General

In-game name: Blinky
Something for you Energy fans

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next