All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently July 11th, 2020, 18:31

Post subject: Waypoints
PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 01:59 
Skirmisher

In-game name: dmatthew
For those of you who missed it: https://scrolls.com/2014/05/whats-next- ... #more-4228
The next set is going to be called Waypoints. Below is some of the unit art that has been revealed (and sorry about the somewhat inconsistent image sizes):

Spoiler: [show]

So, yeah. Any thoughts? Anyone else excited for it?
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Waypoints
PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 03:45 
Vanguard

My thoughts are that I'm really excited. Expectations are kind of high because I think Rebellion release was terrific for the game. If they are setting Rebellion as the benchmark for the new set I think we will be in store for good things. This coupled with the fact that we finally have wild in all modes will hopefully allow them to get even crazier with some of the designs and mechanics. The only thing I am unsure of is how I will fit 9 Vaeters into my growth deck now because I can't not run all the Vaeters in the game.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 07:33 
Vanguard

In-game name: uwlryoung
Super excited for the new set, not so excited about making all beginners start with "Growth". I like choice much better, honestly.

But I am also super excited that we get to go on the test server!!

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 14:07 
Vanguard

In-game name: kehmesis
I like that they release complete sets now. With the new booster pack and judgment, it almost fixes the broken economy.

I'm excited for the new set, but also with everything else they are working on. Scrolls will do very well at release, I think.

My only wish is to have booster packs that gives out scrolls from 3 to 4 different sets, or something along those lines. I hate that the older cards lose a ton of value because they are found in all packs.

Something like:

Main: Scrolls from Sets#1-4
First expansion: Scrolls from Sets#5-8 (Rebellion, Waypoint, x, y)
Second expansion: Scrolls from Set#9-12 (...)

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 18:27 
Vanguard

In-game name: Astroplatypus
The changes to starter decks sound awesome; I think this will allow more new players to enter the game, since right now the starter decks all sort of suck.

I only hope that those of us who bought multiple factions' starter decks with gold will be reimbursed, and that we won't lose cards that were in our starters but have been removed.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 19:13 
Vanguard

In-game name: Zugon
Test Server, new sounds and in-game deck sharing sounds awesome. I hope they don't go through with the Growth starter thing, even if it's a beginner's faction I think it'd be better to make the other starter precons more beginner-friendly instead.

It also sounds like the new launcher might fix the update issues people are having.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 01:06 
Skirmisher

In-game name: dmatthew
uwlryoung wrote:
not so excited about making all beginners start with "Growth". I like choice much better, honestly.

I agree with you. I liked the choice.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 03:27 
Scholar

In-game name: Ravenking
Blood Broth is rated R for several reasons... but overall excited for the other cards!

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 04:12 
Infantryman

In-game name: MoshingSnail
I think you should be able to choose the starting deck and have trails that unlock the other starter decks. or maybe have trails that unlock 10 or so common scrolls of a certain faction. that way the new people wont be stuck with just one faction. when i first started i felt i was stuck with only making energy decks coz i didnt have enough of the other factions cards to make decks.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 10:16 
Vanguard

In-game name: 4Robato
For those who say that you don't like the change that will make everyone starts with Growth preconstructed. In the post you can read that you will earn the other ones in a different way that you earn them now and now you earn them by paying gold so that means you'll earn the other precons. by simply playing. So the truth behind this is that you'll earn all the precons. for "free".

I think that this method is nice because with growth you'll see the more "classic" scrolls part of playing creatures, decrease the countdowns of your creatures etc. and then probably is order (who knows) and you'll learn that positioning is very important (obviously that is important for every deck and every game but is less obvious in the other factions) and so on. I think they're going to the right direction.

And for the next set I really want some nice scrolls that make multi-resource aggro, mid decks viable! And I'll like to see some changes in the actual cross-faction scrolls. Now they are debuffs for the opponent and that promotes the late-horrible to play against multifaction decks while if they made that instead of debuffing the opponent it buffs your own units this will promote more aggressive multi-resource decks :)

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 10:39 
Infantryman

In-game name: BilboSwagginsFTW
I personally am excited with being able to earn the other precons; I want to be able to change resource from Order.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 14:20 
Vanguard

In-game name: Donkey74
Originally I wasn't happy about starting with growth (grrrr growth) but depending on how long it takes to get the other pre-cons i guess i can be okay with it especially a revamped pre-con. Excited for everything else the art for new scrolls looks awesome as always.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2014, 05:15 
Vanguard

In-game name: uwlryoung
kehmesis wrote:
My only wish is to have booster packs that gives out scrolls from 3 to 4 different sets...

Something like:

Main: Scrolls from Sets#1-4
First expansion: Scrolls from Sets#5-8 (Rebellion, Waypoint, x, y)
Second expansion: Scrolls from Set#9-12 (...)
I really like this idea. I think they should have packs with the "set" of cards in them. That would be ideal. Just as in most traditional card games, you have to buy the packs that are all from the same set. I think perhaps the only problem with this is that there aren't too many scrolls within one set. Although I'm not certain what the number stands now, but in MTG's latest set from the God's block, they had a total of 165 cards (a little more than half of the scrolls that Scrolls has now). So, if we did have "set" packs, in Scrolls it might be too easy to collect... perhaps. Does that make sense? Your probability of getting that one rare you wanted would go through the roof (well, still small chance, but much better than where it's currently at.) So what I'm saying is, I like this idea, but I wonder if it's possible or not based upon the number of scrolls that are released per set. What do you all think? Is this viable?

Astroplatypus wrote:
The changes to starter decks sound awesome; I think this will allow more new players to enter the game, since right now the starter decks all sort of suck.

I only hope that those of us who bought multiple factions' starter decks with gold will be reimbursed, and that we won't lose cards that were in our starters but have been removed.
You bring up a good point which leads me to some questions that I have.

1. Do we get reimbursed for those decks that we bought?
If so, do we get to keep those scrolls from those decks? Or if we are reimbursed, are those scrolls from the decks taken away? (I assume the first because what if you already traded those away?)

2. What happens to the deck we originally picked? Do they become unlocked? Do they get taken away from us?

3. How would we unlock the packs and after how much time?

4. For those of us who already picked our packs, or bought some, will we have the opportunity to gain the new growth deck, too, and unlock the others over time? While at the same time not losing any of our scrolls?

I think all those questions are very important for us to know before deciding whether or not we like the idea. I am also wondering if it would be beneficial to buy the starter-decks now (with gold of course) before they are discontinued so that I can get a pretty good batch of cards. (That question is basically dependent on do we get reimbursed and whether or not we get to keep those starter deck scrolls.)

4Robato wrote:
For those who say that you don't like the change that will make everyone starts with Growth preconstructed. In the post you can read that you will earn the other ones in a different way that you earn them now and now you earn them by paying gold so that means you'll earn the other precons. by simply playing. So the truth behind this is that you'll earn all the precons. for "free".
I see what you mean, and I knew that it means it would come to us for "free" eventually anyway, which is why we have been asking about the reimbursement. I still don't like that we have to start with Growth though... I still like choice much better. If anything, you should have a choice, and then you can gain over time the ones you didn't select. Also, perhaps prior to picking, they could have a little demonstration/introduction/orientation that will show the ideas behind Order, Energy, Decay, and Growth that will help the players decide between all those. I think if they gave us more idea about what each faction is about, the scolldier will have a more informed idea of what to choose and what play style they are going to prefer.

So, anyway, I still stand by not liking the fact that we have to stick with growth, although, technically, it probably wouldn't concern me anyway since I'm way past beginning.... But I do consider that I am glad I was able to choose what I did.

Last edited by uwlryoung on May 26th, 2014, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2014, 05:50 
Scholar

In-game name: LeLas
I still remember when scrolls first got into Beta and everbody thought that Growth was OP. Growth is just so easy to figure out. Its perfect for new players.

Sadly, new players also get to play against advanced Decay decks and Decay is just a bad designed faction. People that are new to the game will have no idea whats going on.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2014, 09:49 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Tijne
I'm interested into why it's called Waypoints. Does that name strike anyone else as odd? It doesn't really seem like any sort of set theme, or at least it's nothing like "Rebellion"'s connotation. Reading the list of upcoming features, I don't really see anything that could be reasonably associated with a way point either... I wonder what surprises they have in store...

As for tutorials, instead of making 4 different tutorials for each and every faction that will endlessly confuse new players and explain all the same concepts to them 4 times in a row, they're instead making a simple pathway of tutorials where you unlock the next deck in a series when you're ready. That seems like the most intuitive and best way to do it.

I don't see anything wrong with them deciding to start with Growth -- which is probably because the original/current tutorials were done with growth, and which is probably because it's one of the most straight-forward factions.