All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently December 7th, 2019, 23:02

Post subject: The unofficial “Game modes” rulebook
PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 20:40 
Vanguard

In-game name: PeeFuu
Here, the entire community can agree on the rules for the new "Game modes" room that Mojang introduced with the latest patch.

I have gathered and put together all the suggestions for rules from the old thread about the "casual" room.

Highlander
Rules: Maximum one of each scroll.

Ultimate Highlander
Rules: One of each scroll in existence. Thats 360 at the moment!

Gemini
Rules: Only pairs.
Example Deck: Grow a Pair

Pauper
Rules: Only scrolls of common rarity.
Example Deck: G/o Buffers

Peasant
Rules: 1 playset of rare rarity, 3 playsets of uncommon rarity and the rest of the deck can only be of common rarity. All scrolls with the unique trait are banned.
Example Deck: Wolfy Farmers

The Bunny Gamemode
Rules: You cannot have any units on the board except bunnies.

Precon mode
Rules: 9 playsets of common rarity, 8 pairs of uncommons and 7 unique rares.
Example Deck: Decay

Middling Mode
Rules: Only scrolls that cost 4 resources or less are allowed.

Tribal War
Rules: All Creature scrolls in the deck must share a subtype. The subtype "human" is not allowed to be the subtype. No structures allowed except memorials.
Tribe specific exception: Gravehawk counts as of the Gravelock subtype, Brother of the wolf counts as of the Wolf subtype, The structure Automata Forge is allowed when using the Automaton subtype.

Gods of War
Rules: Only Creature scrolls in the deck. (ratking is out, its a spell you know!)

60 scrolls! Go!
Rules: 5 playsets of each resource type. Thats 60 scrolls in the deck. At the begining of the game you need to type in chat "60 scrolls! Go!". this replaces the usual courtesy of "gg hf".

Glossary:
Playset = 3 copies of the same scroll
Pair= 2 copies of the same scroll

Please leave your opinion as a reply and I will update the post to contain the most commonly agreed upon rules!

Last edited by PeeFuu on September 26th, 2014, 18:16, edited 24 times in total.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The unofficial “Game modes” rulebook
PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 03:17 
Skirmisher

In-game name: NildoSal
I liked. I think there should be a game mode where you can't use spells or enchants in the "Opponent side".

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 03:26 
Vanguard

In-game name: sitenuker
Tribal War: Surely the Forge should be allowed for Auto decks?

Bunny mode: Can anyone testify that this is fun? Only 3 creature cards in the deck. Doesn't it go on for hours?

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 03:46 
Scholar

In-game name: Cantor
tribal wars doesn't restrict structures so in theory you could put forge in any tribe, according to these rules. Also I think that Peasant should be only commons and uncommons, to be consistent with the MTG community, also its simpler. but not a big issue to me.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 04:33 
Scholar

sitenuker wrote:
Bunny mode: Can anyone testify that this is fun? Only 3 creature cards in the deck. Doesn't it go on for hours?

It's quicker than you think, once you Untaint a Bunny you can generally buff away.

The trick is to not play them until you know you can protect them. It's basically a Bunnies Arms Race.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 08:31 
Vanguard

In-game name: Lahopaa
sitenuker wrote:

Bunny is one of my favourite limited modes in scrolls. It comes down to buffing the bunnies/bunny until the opponent can't kill them. After that the game usually ends quickly because there are no real blocking units other that memorials. All kinds of weird tactics can be used, and scrolls that have never seen any use in the game are very powerful in this mode.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 10:34 
Vanguard

In-game name: sitenuker
Cantor wrote:
tribal wars doesn't restrict structures...

Yes it does, that's why I asked.

PeeFuu wrote:
Tribal War
... No structures allowed except memorials.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 10:47 
Scholar

my mistake! thought it was only bunnies that had that restriction

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 10:58 
Scholar

Should add, for Bunnies there is a bug (at least it's not mentioned as being fixed in last patch) that Bunnies cannot be made relentless. Worth keeping in mind when deck building as that makes Machination Mindset and Fierce Tactics useless.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 12:02 
Vanguard

NildoSal: Nice suggestion! You tired of quake? ;) Make a name and write the rules and I will put it in

Sitenuker and Cantor: Yann, who partialy made the rules for tribal wars sugested that it was flavourful not to have any structures. If more ppl like structures I will put it in. Or we can have a special rule for automata forge, similar to gravehawk?

Cantor: the rules for peasant was actually some guilds (I think it was RnB) rules for pauper. I switched around the names to be more intune with MtG format. The way Peasant is now (with 1 rare and 3 uncommon) is really nice for scrolls deckbuilding and the format I personaly like the most. But naturally, if more players like the MtG rules I will make the change.

Also ”Deh” Bunny Gamemode is fun and fast. I only played three games and got my ass kicked so hard by ThePurplePanzy all three times :lol:

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 14:15 
Vanguard

In-game name: Lahopaa
PeeFuu wrote:
Cantor: the rules for peasant was actually some guilds (I think it was RnB) rules for pauper. I switched around the names to be more intune with MtG format. The way Peasant is now (with 1 rare and 3 uncommon) is really nice for scrolls deckbuilding and the format I personaly like the most. But naturally, if more players like the MtG rules I will make the change.

I posted the rules in the old topic that were named peasant later. It was a custom version of pauper that gives more options for building a deck that works much better than a real pauper deck. I used these rules with someone from my guild a while back and it was fun, can't remember who it actually was though. :lol:

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 14:19 
Scholar

maybe that format works a lot better for scrolls and is a lot of fun! I just thought it would make sense for it to have a different name i guess.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 16:19 
Vanguard

Cantor: peasant in MTG is 5 uncommon and rest only common right? So this way (lahopaa style) is really close. Is it OK if we keep it this way until more opinions are heard? I played this version with different players and so far all like it. Me personality, I think its close enough to have the name peasant. Also 3 very similar formats seems kinda overkill right now. But as always, I will change to whatever is most popular opinion.

Yepp, now I remember it was u lahopaa who teached me, and kicked my behind in that format. This whole project seems to be about ppl learning me, and beating me hard, in various formats... ;)

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 22:27 
Scholar

In-game name: Yann
Tribal wars :

I think we should accept Automata Forge for the Automata Tribe, as well as we must accept Brother of the Wolf for the wolves tribe (but not for the beast tribe). So the rules probably need to get a little more into details.

I suggested that you could adjust the number of creatures in your deck if your tribe has too few or too many creatures, so that every tribal war deck has 20 creatures. (At first you must include all the creatures of your tribe. Then if the amount is less than 20, you can add some other creatures, if the amount is more than 20, you must remove some creatures). This way tribal wars are more balanced. What do you think about it ? Maybe the number must be changed into 15 to have a more consistent tribe.

The idea for not allowing structures was that the tribal wars are a battlefield, like when two armies meet, and they don't have time to build. It also makes matches a little quicker, since tribal war decks are slower than competitive decks.

Cheers,

Yann

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 23:25 
Scholar

I was under the impression that in MTG peasant is any number of commons or uncommons, only limit is 0 rares. really you can name stuff whatever you want, I just thought thats what the term meant in card game circles, I'll play whatever