All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently October 24th, 2019, 00:07

Post subject: Academy Quiz - A Decay Deck
PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 13:20 
Vanguard

In-game name: SeeMeScrollin
Hi Scrolldiers,

With access to the test server now open to all players for a day, Scrolls Academy would like to test your knowledge on aspects of the game and to tell us what you think. There are no prizes for being ‘right’ or first, but other players will certainly gain from you guys writing your answers to the questions on the associated forum post.

Take a look at the following deck:

http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#13134

Beginner Question:

What game mechanics does this deck appear to make the most of?

Spawning creatures
    Poison
    Adjacent creatures
    Damage
    Idol Destruction
    Curse

Intermediate Question:

What scroll combinations can be performed with this deck?

Advanced Question:

What is this deck’s weaknesses and strengths against each resource type?
What changes, if any, would you make?

---

So, have fun with this and tell us your thoughts. Remember that all levels of players will be reading these so try to make it easy for them to read and keep it relevant.

HFGL

The Scrollsguide team

www.theyseemescrollin.com/
www.youtube.com/user/seemescrollin
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Academy Quiz - A Decay Deck
PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 15:03 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Final_Move
Beginner's Answer

Are we including "Poison damage" as "Damage"? Assuming damage refers only to attacks made by creatures then I'd say "Poison" (with Damage second).

Why? Well we have 2 different enchants that poison creatures, 1 that jumps around (Infectious Blight) and another that gives card draw (Brain Live). Furthermore we have ways to amplify this poison damage. The obvious one is Miasma Well, increasing all poison damage by one, but Curse (via Cursemonger's effect and Bloodline Taint) can also up the poison damage output. 3 Infectious Blights in play can rapidly cut through creatures, only stopping when the creature dies from non-poison means or when there are simply no creatures left to infect.

Why not damage? Well though there are some big creatures in the deck (Witch Doctor, Harvester), they don't won't be attacking each turn. There are no 1 CD creatures, no means to reduce countdown and we have a 3 CD creature (Ilmire Tribesman) present who will attack even less frequently. Therefore on a "per turn" basis, I'd say poison damage wins.

Overall I'd list the game mechanics of the deck as:
1) Poison
2) Damage
3) Spawning creaures
4) Curse
5) Adjacent creatures
6) Idol damage

Intermediate Answer

Infectious Blight/Brain Lice and Miasma Well/Curse.
Soul Steal and/or Damning Curse to trigger Harvester.
Rot Eater surrounded by creatures.
Witch Doctor surrounded by Humans.
Necrogeddon + creatures (especially Oblivion Seeker and Darkling since the death effects will trigger)

Advanced Answer

Bloodline Taint hurts Order hard. Combined with Infectious Blight you should win.
Growth has a lot of low health creatures so poison should be good against them. However they also have a lot of fast creatures and strong buffs. Should be fairly even.
Decay vs Decay should be even.
Versus Energy... well, it'd do okay against ranged Energy, which tend to have low health creatures. Against structure Energy you are probably going to lose. Poison doesn't work on structures, neither does Soul Steal or Damning Curse. Harder to trigger Harvester... good luck.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 17:29 
Vanguard

In-game name: Zugon
Beginner:
1. Spawning Creatures
2. Poison
3. Damage
4. Adjacent Creatures (Does Harvester count? It's not adjacent but still benefits from there being other creatures.)
5. Curse
6. Idol Damage

Intermediate:
Soul Steal/Damning Curse/Loyal Darkling + Harvester
Bloodline Taint + Infectious Blight
Miasma Well + Poison
Humans + Ilmire Witch Doctor
Creatures + Ilmire Rot Eater/Harvester

Advanced:
Poisons and Bloodline Taint generally wreck Order without question.
Growth's naturally varied units will counter Bloodline Taint, additionally Fertile Soil can clear Infectious Blights, which nearly rules out the poison portion of the deck. What's mostly left is creature spam, which Growth simply does better than this'll do. I'd say it's at odds with Growth.
Energy, I don't think it'll do well. It's fairly reliant on units being next to eachother (Ilmire Witch Doctor/Rot Eater) which makes Thunder Surge, Inferno Blast and Blind Rage pretty devastating. It'll do okay against ranged decks, as it does have quite a few creature-killers to keep them supressed.

For what I would change, it entirely depends on what I'm going for.

If I'm going for Poison Decay, I'd drop Loyal Darklings and Ilmire Rot Eater. I'd put in Blightbearers and Mire Curse to focus on wiping the enemy's board then finishing with high-attacking creatures and utilizing Necrogeddon.
If I wish to expand upon unit-massing, I'd drop the Bog Hound, Infectious Blight, Bloodline Taint and Miasma Well and add in Mire Shamblers, Blightbearers, Animovore and Scavenger Constructs.
If I actually wanted Idol Damage, I'd drop the Ilmire Rot Eater, Miasma Well, Infectious Blight, Bloodline Taint and Cursemonger, then add in Arhart's Disciple, Searing Shackles, Watchers, Hex Marks and Corpus Collector.

Should I make an overview for what I base this on?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 21:05 
Spearman

The deck presented is a little all over the place but with focus on purpose. It combines Curse with Poison, as well as Humans with the Undead.

Basically, this deck is played like Order with some removal tricks-- until the moment suites the player to use Necrogeddeon 1 or 2 times. Blight works its way around while things become cursed (anti-animo card engine); Lice is Burn for Decay here and ... really these are 12 cards that could be replaced to make this deck more aggressive.

Restless Bones is a card that really makes use of the Undead theme. Makes a player feel like he's commanding a cheap, relentless, and ridiculously strong-yet stiff zombie army.

3 Restless Bones - 3 Scryers - 3 Blightseed - 2 Pillar o Fats (swap Bog Hounds for Blade Husks).

Take out 1 Tribesman, 1 rot eater, and add 3 Watchers to make full effect of Necrogeddon.

Fat/Card Draw (slow board control), Undead CD surprise to make scary use of all them husks, shamblers, and sudden -2CD manipulation for Harvester in 1 round without definite self-sacrifice (soul steal, restless bones). Human wall. When the dam breaks... Watchers combo with Damning Curse/Shambler, Darklings, and all other self-killing while also protecting against Thunder Surge and other nasty spells.

Alternatively, scrap the whole thing and play Decay with Growth like everyone else. Just use Ire & Bile with Frost Gale & Quake until your player just wants to stop playing the game completely. It's what I do when I get a little frustrated.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 21:47 
Vanguard

In-game name: Astroplatypus
Beginner:
The deck is somewhat able to make use of all of these mechanics, but seems to be focusing on Poison-Curse synergy. Miasma well and Curse both work to increase the effects of Brain lice, and Curse also affects infectious blight. The creatures in this deck all do decent damage, but I think the focus isn't on spawning creatures but rather on the removal they offer. Honestly, the deck doesn't make the most of any of these mechanics (compromises were made).

Intermediate:
-Any of the following combo with Harvester: Brain Lice, Infectious Blight, Soul Steal, Damning Curse. Also, creatures in the deck deal decent damage for the most part, which can kill things and trigger Harvester.
-Miasma Well-Brain Lice combo.
-Witch Doctor and all of the humans in the deck.
-Rot Eater and all creatures in the deck.
-Cursemonger/Bloodline Taint and Infectious Blight/Brain Lice.

Advanced:
This deck seems like it has some of everything without focusing enough on any one mechanic. It seems most focused on poison-curse synergy, so I'll focus on that for my revisions:
-Remove both Necrogeddons
-Remove all Bog Hounds
-Remove 1x Loyal Darkling? or another unit... need to make space for three of the following.
+Add 3x Baleful Witch (for extra curse synergy)
+Add 3x Blightbearer (for extra poison/curse synergy)
?(I would also experiment with Pestis because it is a very fun card, but it is probably sub-optimal. Mangy Rats are probably not worth the deck space)
?(Rot Eaters might be overkill; could add in some draw combos instead of damage, such as Pillars of Fatigue and Scryers)

This might not be the most effective deck, but it fits the central concept that I think the deck was meant to accomplish, and also makes better use of Witch Doctors.

EDIT: I realized 20 minutes ago that I totally forgot about Mire Curse! But yeah, that's important for a poison deck.

Last edited by Astroplatypus on May 30th, 2014, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 07:34 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Tijne
Beginner:
For the beginner question, this is a trick question.

Spawning creatures -- The deck contains 10 creatures, only 1 of which actually spawns more. Therefore, it probably isn't spawning creatures. If it was spawning creatures, I would have expected to see at least a Corpus Collector and perhaps a Pestis.
Poison -- The deck contains only 2 poison scrolls, with an additional poison support wall. Therefore, it probably isn't poison. If it was Poison, I would have expected to see at least a Mire Curse and Blightbearer in there.
Adjacent creatures -- Only 2 creatures benefit from being adjacent. The Witch Doctor only benefits from humans, of which are only 6 of the 10 creatures in the deck (including itself). Therefore, it probably isn't adjacent creatures. If it was adjacent, I would have expected to see either Scavenger Construct or Animovore or Grisly Graft or more humans.
Damage -- Harvesters deal a ton of damage, but otherwise most of the creatures are rather slow or weak. If it was damage, I would rather see a few more big creatures in there, or big creature support -- Blade Husk, Nuru, Reaping Mask, Stitcher, Life Stealer as examples.
Idol Destruction -- Only 2 scrolls are directly intended for idol destruction -- Loyal Darkling, and Necrogeddon. Therefore, it probably isn't Idol Destruction. If it was Idol Destruction, I would have expected at least a Watcher, and perhaps a Pillar of Fatigue / Arhart's Discipline.
Curse -- There's only 2 scrolls that curse units. Therefore, it probably isn't Curse. If it was curse, I would rather have seen a Baleful Witch and perhaps a Cluster Hex.

There is no "main mechanic" that this deck has -- it uses everything on that list in sprinkles. This type of deck I would classify as "Control" -- it has around half the cards dedicated directly to removal with the rest of the cards dedicated directly to maintaining a persistent board presence.

Intermediate Question:
Again, this is another trick question. There actually aren't any combinations in this deck. Do note, I consider a combination something like "Crimson Bull + Culling of the Flock", Scrolls that when used together can be substantially better than standard scrolls when used apart. Yes, you can use Soul Steal and Damning Curse to trigger a Harvester. Yes, humans activate Witch Doctor's effect. Yes, you can use Bloodline Curse and Infectious Blight to potentially wipe out a full board from your opponent (Assuming it doesn't get countered) Yes, you can can throw down poisons and then use curses or maisma well to buff them up. But none of those combinations are really.. combinations. They're the standard interactions. There's no special interactions between these cards. The only thing I could consider a combination by my standards in this deck is Necrogeddan + Oblivion Seeker/Loyal Darkling, and that itself isn't really that great of a combination.

Advanced Question:
This deck is weak against aggro decks as it takes time to get moving and doesn't have any way to protect/remove a lot of early game units. Most of the early units are weak and die easily. It's also weak against control as your board presence relies on specific units (Harvester, Witch Doctor, Rot Eater), which when removed make you extremely vulnerable. It's strong against mid-ranged decks -- You can remove any select threat and in the mid-late game you have an eternally persistent board presence and can use a Necroggedan to finish the game. However, do to the diversity of the deck, it actually isn't "that weak" or even "that strong". More like a slight advantage/disadvantage. The luck of the card draw and the skill of the players is more likely to determine the match.

While the deck is diverse, I find that to be both it's main advantage and main disadvantage. It excels at answering questions, but also seems to fails at asking its own. I would probably exchange Infectious Blight for Blightbearers as they are a more substantial threat and combo with Witch Doctors/Rot Eaters / Necroggedon while still doing a similar job to that of infectious blight. Then, I would exchange Maisma Well for another card as well, perhaps Watcher, although I have a soft spot for Stitcher lately.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2014, 10:42 
Vanguard

In-game name: SeeMeScrollin
AWESOME responses, people :)

Thanks for this.

If anybody has ideas for more of these types of quizzes then, please, pm me directly.

www.theyseemescrollin.com/
www.youtube.com/user/seemescrollin