All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently July 22nd, 2019, 19:10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Mentorship Program! (Application Thread Mentors/Students)
PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 20:42 
Vanguard

In-game name: ktrey

Mentorship Program

Overview

With the introduction of thousands of new players due to the humble bundle and with the likelihood of further promotion it's become apparent that something has to be done to ease the player's transition into the world of scrolls.

In the spirit of that I have devised a mentorship program. It's goals are simple:
  • To improve the skills of newer players
  • To foster bonds in the community by giving newer players the opportunity to learn with more experienced players
  • To encourage meta evolution by bring the newer player into the fold as quickly as possible
  • To improve the retention rate of scrolls by easing players passed the first few weeks (Where people often get discouraged and quit)

How it all works:

The program will work around two week cycles. Every two weeks a new round of students will be selected from the waitlist. The students will be paired with a mentor (And some mentors may opt to teach more than one student). For the next cycle the student and mentor will arrange times to meet. In these meetings the mentor plays practice games and teaches the students the finer points of scrolls. After those two weeks the student "graduates" and a new set of students is chosen. Ideally at least 2 one hour sessions will occur a week. A student can then reapply to the mentorship program at any time afterwards.

Hopefully the student will learn:
  • When to sacrifice for what
  • The importance of board control
  • Positioning
  • The importance of card advantage
  • Deckbuilding basics
  • What to expect from your opponent's deck
  • The state of the meta right now
  • and just general scrolls strategy

If you have any further questions or comments feel free to post them here or hit me up on the in-game chatroom called Mentorship

Student Application

Spoiler: [show]

Mentor Application

Mentors

Waitlist

The waitlist is now kept on a google document.

Alumni

Last edited by ktrey on June 16th, 2015, 22:52, edited 76 times in total.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Mentorship Program! (looking for mentors and students)
PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 21:13 
SG Tournament Winner
SG Tournament Winner

In-game name: Sysp
Great initiative! I'm volunteering as a mentor.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 22:03 
Vanguard

Sysp wrote:
Great initiative! I'm volunteering as a mentor.

Sweet! I was hoping this would interest you Sysp :)

EDIT: I totally should reprimand you for not doing the application :P
All I really need is your time zone and hour available though. Just so I can match you with someone that will be easy on both of your schedules.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 22:59 
Vanguard

In-game name: Donkey74
Great idea application sent :)

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 23:02 
Vanguard

Donkey74 wrote:
Great idea application sent :)

:D You've been added.
And I have to admit this is going better than I thought :)

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 23:09 
Scholar

In-game name: Cantor
I'd Mentor, done a little of this is the past and it's a lot of fun. (don't see any students though ;))

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 23:11 
Vanguard

Cantor wrote:
I'd Mentor, done a little of this is the past and it's a lot of fun. (don't see any students though ;))

Haha very true. I'm looking into changing that :P
Glad to have you.

Time zone and normal online hours are?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 00:12 
Scholar

EST, online hours can vary wildly depending on the day. not sure what to tell you. Maybe discuss a bit more later

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 00:18 
Vanguard

Cantor wrote:
EST, online hours can vary wildly depending on the day. not sure what to tell you. Maybe discuss a bit more later

Alright that works for me. At the very least I'll try and match you with someone close to EST.
Now it's just a matter of finding students.

I feel like a lot of the new humble bundle players don't know about scrollsguide yet :P

I guess I'll advertise in general or something.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 00:41 
Scholar

we can link to this post on reddit, new players seem to find that almost instantly :P

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 00:44 
Vanguard

Cantor wrote:
we can link to this post on reddit, new players seem to find that almost instantly :P

I just did that :P

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 01:38 
Newcomer

In-Game Name: kontemplator

Scrolls Experience:
Hello there! I'm just yet another spawn of Mojang and Humble Bundle passionate romance! (:

I have all the starter decks, basic understanding of the game with some TCG beckground (MTG, Hearthstone, Card Hunter) and this wild Growth tension in my heart, lol.

I've already read few guides for beginners and I'm familiar with terms like tempo, board control, etc. I just need someone to help me accustom to Scrolls mentality.

Time Zone: CET

Regular Online Hours: I'm quite flexible. Lets say 12:00 up to late night hours.

Goals:

MAIN
* better understanding of Scrolls gameplay nuances (like positioning and sacraficing)
* getting familiar with current meta
* build a viable deck and hit ranked queue

SECONDARY (if there's enough time)
* introduction to Judgement mode (I'm an avid HS arena player. not sure if that'd help though)

Current Deck: Basic :growth starter amped with a few boosters and random :growth scrolls. But I have 10k+ gold to use. I feel like :growth is a good place to start - easy to play, good for better understanding of the game in general and farming gold in the same time. I like the idea of transitioning to :growth / :decay variant in the future (aggro/control?) But I'm open for sugesstions.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Great initiative! (:

EDIT:
formating

Last edited by kontemplator on January 25th, 2015, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 01:53 
Vanguard

kontemplator wrote:

In-Game Name: kontemplator

Scrolls Experience:
Hello there! I'm just yet another spawn of Mojang and Humble Bundle passionate romance! (:

I have all the starter decks, basic understanding of the game with some TCG beckground (MTG, Hearthstone, Card Hunter) and this wild Growth tension in my heart, lol.

I've already read few guides for beginners and I'm familiar with terms like tempo, board control, etc. I just need someone to help me accustom to Scrolls mentality.

Time Zone: CET

Regular Online Hours: I'm quite flexible. Lets say 12:00 up to late night hours.

Goals:

MAIN
* better understanding of Scrolls gameplay nuances (like positioning and sacraficing)
* getting familiar with current meta
* build a viable deck and hit ranked queue

SECONDARY (if there's enough time)
* introduction to Judgement mode (I'm an avid HS arena player. not sure if that'd help though)

Current Deck: Basic :growth starter amped with a few boosters and random :growth scrolls. But I have 10k+ gold to use. I feel like :growth is a good place to start - easy to play, good for better understanding of the game in general and farming gold in the same time. I like the idea of transitioning to :growth / :decay variant in the future. But I'm open for sugesstions.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Great initiative! (:

EDIT:
formating

Sweet! We have our first student :)
3 more and we can start :D

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 01:59 
Vanguard

My application as a mentor:

In-game Name: Necro_Man_Ser

Regular online hours: Time Zone = GMT+1, and I usually start playing around 17, 18 o'clock on most days.

Specialty: Most experienced with order, but have played all factions quite alot in both ranked and judgement, except decay which I have never played competitively (meaning ranked) with great success, doing good in judgement though. I have a good idea of deck building but I think this is still my weakest area, but I feel confident about my positioning, economy etc and know the importance of concepts mentioned above (economy, positioning and so on).

Rating: 1700-1800 for a month now

References
: Member of the SA guild

Scrolls Background: Don't quite know what you want to know here? I have played in early beta but left quite early. Rejoined the game shortly after waypoints and have been taking it seriously since then.

A couple sentences about why you would make a good mentor: I like teaching interested people new tricks and basics alike. Also it's not so long ago that I myself started working myself up, so I should be able to pick up the players where they are.

Last edited by NecroManSer on January 25th, 2015, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 02:02 
Newcomer

In-game name: xDiGiTx
In-Game Name:
xDiGiTx

Scrolls Experience:
I bought this game, I believe four days ago, I have three of the starter decks, I only don't have Decay (I'm only 2 wins away from getting it though), and I've bought a few scrolls here and there, but most notably, the Reaver's Revenge precon. I haven't done very much PvP whatsoever.

Time Zone:
EST

Regular Online Hours:
On weekdays, I'll be online around 10 PM - 3 AM GMT, and on Weekends, anywhere from 5 PM - 4 AM GMT

What do you hope to get out of the mentorship program?
If possible, I'd like to learn some of the intricacies of making effective decks and more advanced strategies, as, at the moment, I'm mostly just seeing what I get and hoping it works.

Current Deck:
I am currently using a deck based on Donkey74's 'Automatons' ( :energy ).

But it is not quite the same because I didn't have enough gold to purchase every scroll for it, I also added 3 Iron Ogres cause I find them awesome :P

EDIT: I have now gotten the Decay starter deck.

Last edited by xDiGiTx on January 25th, 2015, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next