All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently April 27th, 2017, 12:03

Post subject: My experience of tilting in Scrolls
PostPosted: December 10th, 2012, 13:56 
Vanguard

In-game name: GrumpCat
Imagine this. You are in a game of Scrolls, you have a decent set of cards in your hand and are about to make your move. You position your units and cast your spells, when a chat message pops up, "LOL WHY DID YOU DO THAT". The scenario I have just described is commonly referred to as tilting, when your opponent tries to put you off in order to secure an easy victory.

The intended results of tilting are to frustrate and annoy you, causing you to play more aggressively or make moves without thinking. They can then use this to their advantage and capitalize on your mistakes. Meaning that the win is more a reflection of how much of a troll they are, rather than their actual skill at the game.

My first experience of tilting happened in one of my early games against an actual player, just after they used Quake to wipe the field. Now unfortunately for them, I had already learned to hold back for Quake and was able to recover much faster than they could and won the game (despite him taking 2 idols "LIKE A BOSS"). They then proceeded to demand a rematch, which I gladly excepted (yes there is something rather satisfying about beating someone who has been trash talking you) and I continued to beat them into the ground.

Players who attempt to use tilting will never succeed at Scrolls; the best advice you can get will come from the community - and no one wants to help someone who plays dirty. When I'm in a game with a player who is clearly inexperienced, I generally try to offer some advice on how they can improve and cards they may want to use in their deck.

I have also found that more often than not, tilting will have the reverse affect. In a recent game I made a major misplay, and my opponent responded by calling me a retard. At first I was a little shocked, as I generally haven't experienced this in Scrolls. But it also made me think twice as hard on my next turns and is probably the reason why I won that game.

As with all online multiplayer games, trash talk is to be expected - and as Scrolls becomes more popular, it becomes more likely that you will encounter this first hand. In the future I would like to see an option to disable the chat function entirely. In the meantime however, my advice to anyone who experiences tilting is to not let it get to you. Most of the time they are doing it because they know they are losing. So your best bet is to ignore them, focus on the game and wallow in the sweet revenge of wiping the floor with their face (which will of course - only infuriate them more).

Written by Hurr from www.hurranddurr.com - for more articles and videos check out the website.

Post subject: Re: My experience of tilting in Scrolls
PostPosted: December 10th, 2012, 17:10 
Scholar

In-game name: Acidjib
Well i hope my friendly chit chat and occasional anger at growth does not come to be considered as tilting :/

PostPosted: December 10th, 2012, 17:28 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Niar
Nice article.

I have to say I never played such players in scrolls. Thats maybe because im only playing high rated ones (who r always polite) or Vs players who think theyll lose anyway and just asking me for tips.

But i played enough other games to know these guys.

I personaly love people who are trying to confuse me by flaming or spamming. Thats just because I enjoy trashtalking and afterwards (as u wrote) wiping the floor with them.

Either ignore them or answer after u did ur moves before passing the turn. Trashtalk is awesome, enjoy it and kick their asses.
  Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 10th, 2012, 17:58 
Vanguard

In-game name: GrumpCat
Acidjib wrote:
Well i hope my friendly chit chat and occasional anger at growth does not come to be considered as tilting :/

There's a big difference between chit chat and tilting, if you are calling growth OP for example - that's fine. But if you call a player stupid for making a misplay, that's considered tilting.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 11:26 
Skirmisher

In-game name: CrypticBroodz
I haven't come across this since joining in BETA however I really dont think it can be a good thing for the opponent because as you said you engage much more.

Alliance Leader

Chains of Karth

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 21:41 
Vanguard

In-game name: Draforce
I don't really care for that, in fact, i've had a game where i was really near winning (didn't destroy his idols but i had enough units to do it) and instead of spending the time surrendering or shouting at me, my opponent was actually nice and said he was a newbie to the game, after that i helped him improve a little by telling him that he can move units around to plan attacks and etc... i hate sore players.

(...) and as the almighty Sandvich ascended to the heavens, it spoke to us "Let thyne holy urine rest, in thyne holy jar, and let it be spread amongst the four corners of the world, as 'tis flung to thy enemies..." -The Jarate Chronicles

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 23:20 
Skirmisher

In-game name: CrypticBroodz
And that my friend is what makes scrolls great!

Alliance Leader

Chains of Karth

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 23:59 
Vanguard

In-game name: Azara
I never played online games before to be honest, so I don't really know what is expected from me ingame. That's why I did all the trials before I even thought about engaging in a ranked match, or trading for that matter. So I'm usually very silent throughout the game. I came to understand that you add gg at the end, but most times my opponent already left the match by the time I sent the message :lol: My opponents didn't talk much either, in most games we had no conversation at all, and so far I didn't experience anything like you describe here. But if it ever happens, I would just remain silent...

Do you talk to your opponent during a match? Sometimes I feel that I'm being impolite. Of course, if someone wishes me good luck at the beginning of a match, I would do the same, but it never really happens...

PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 07:00 
Infantryman

I never played that much games in scroll, but everyone that I met here was a pretty nice, friendly guy :D

But assholes are everywhere, for sure.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 07:40 
Skirmisher

In-game name: darksteel
I don't mind talking with my opponent, but I've never been one to say "glhf" at the beginning of a game, even when I play Magic. The thing is, I don't want to wish him good luck cause I'd rather he draw awful and I win. Then again, most Magic I play is competitive to a degree. I don't think my opponent would like it if I said "I hope you draw horridly and get stomped".

PostPosted: June 14th, 2013, 10:44 
Vanguard

In-game name: Draforce
darksteel wrote:
I don't mind talking with my opponent, but I've never been one to say "glhf" at the beginning of a game, even when I play Magic. The thing is, I don't want to wish him good luck cause I'd rather he draw awful and I win. Then again, most Magic I play is competitive to a degree. I don't think my opponent would like it if I said "I hope you draw horridly and get stomped".

I get that. I hate people who say that but in the end just surrender. There's no fun in there...

(...) and as the almighty Sandvich ascended to the heavens, it spoke to us "Let thyne holy urine rest, in thyne holy jar, and let it be spread amongst the four corners of the world, as 'tis flung to thy enemies..." -The Jarate Chronicles

PostPosted: June 14th, 2013, 15:14 
Vanguard

In-game name: Azara
I now also see the glhf quite frequently. I usually reply with a smiley :) And I even had some conversations I enjoyed, though it sometimes feels like my opponent wants to know which or how many copies of a certain scroll I have in my deck, so they can somewhat gauge the risk. Surge and dispersal for example. I played 2 surges in a row, and he asked me how many I got. Said 2. He was like OK and put a creature right next to another the next turn. Luckily I had a dispersal. Again he asked how many, said 3. He said oh :D I don't have a problem to share my deck, I just introduced it in this forum anyway, but in a game I feel like I should probably not reveal too much. What do you think? Are people really just interested in your deck, or do they want to gain an advantage?

PostPosted: June 16th, 2013, 16:41 
Spearman

In-game name: Meleoron
I'm very lucky in regards to trash talk and the concept of going on tilt. I come from a back ground of fighting games. Of very over the top personality's in a arcade yelling at you for your skill, or lack there of. Anything someone says to me online can never beat having a chair thrown at me, or a guy saying he will beat the hell out of me if i throw him one more time. [crazy as it sounds i only ever saw someone fight once, people just get heated and talk big lol]

You gave the best advice i feel too, ignore it and smile to yourself, if the player is trying to get into your head like this its most likely them speaking from a losing position.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2013, 12:55 
Newcomer

In-game name: Xyceres
I think I just experienced my first attempt at tilting.
Was playing a ranked game at 1700ish rating and straight off the bat I'm getting insulted cause I like to play growth (even some idea about changes to my deck I'd make if various patches I think might occur happen).
Quick summary of how match went down.
Spoiler: [show]

I had board control at this point and was able to maintain till I won like 4 turns latter (it went something like this godhand > jarl > crimsonbull > rally). But even thou I was winning I was physically shaking and keep double checking my choices both current and past to find my misplays. It really slowed down my turns and probably would have been much worse if I hadn't won that game. It's weird I'm normally fine with people raging at me in video games but I just don't handle it very well in this one. I think it might be due to the fact I feel like I'm playing a board game and not a video game, and every board gamer I've played with has been chill in general even when I play extremely scum moves in a competitive setting.

Chat log if anyones interested.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2013, 13:01 
Skirmisher

In-game name: TheWizard
xyceres wrote:
Chat log if anyones interested.

"Growth, the deck of mouthbreathers" :lol:

MO_o