All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently October 31st, 2014, 06:49

Post subject: EO - The Vengeful Ogre
PostPosted: June 1st, 2013, 04:28 
Spearman

Hi guys,

New to Scrolls, anticipating release next week. Have read a bunch about the games including following Blinky's awesome deckbuilding series. Here's my attempt at a deck I'd like to build towards- I think it's got answers to most things and has a lot of micro-combos (which is how I generally build decks in CG's).

It's currently at 51 cards, as without playtesting I couldn't say what I will drop down to 2.

The basic idea is open Order to 2, use Kabonks and Summons to ramp and stall, and then start building up Energy. Once you've got 5 to 7 Energy, depending on board position you can start getting Order up as well. Ideally, you're leveraging Blessing of Haste, Focus, Kabonks, Desperation and Iron Whips to trigger Vengeance Veils (to double dip) and speed up Scattegunners, Iron Ogres and Ducal Skirmishers as you're primary win conditions. Early/Mid game you've also got Iron Whip'd/Focus'd Copper Automatons, and Ducal Infantryman, which also maintain some semblance of usefulness later game.

3x Iron Ogre
3x Kabonk
3x Blessing of Haste
3x Copper Automaton
3x Spark
2x Violent Dispersal
3x Focus
3x Heritage
3x Vengeance Veil
3x Summons
3x Scattergunner
2x Law Memorial
3x Desert Memorial
3x Decimation
3x Ducal Infantryman
2x Ducal Skirmisher
3x Iron Whip
3x Desperation

Total scrolls: 51
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: EO - The Vengeful Ogre
PostPosted: June 1st, 2013, 20:59 
Spearman

In-game name: TenebrisTantibus
Nice setup. I can't wait for the launch as well, it is going to be great!

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2013, 15:58 
SG Tournament Winner
SG Tournament Winner

In-game name: Sysp
Nice deck, impressive given that you haven't played too much yet!

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of Speed though since you have ramping with memorials and a lot of 3 Order spells, when I saw the title I instantly thought Ogre + Speed. Vengeance Veil is very cute, but I think Speed does similar things better.

Overall an interesting deck though, well done!

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2013, 08:25 
Spearman

Speeds could definitely fit in there, however, I feel that with Iron Whip, Blessing of Haste and Vengeance Veil, I'll get a better effect and card economy through them over Speed.

In my mind, Speeds issue is that value of the card is dependent on the current CD of the target- if its just attacked, or about to attack than the card is great, but if I'm hovering at 2 CD or 1 CD, for the resource cost, I get better use from Blessing of Haste and Vengeance Veil being in the deck.

When you combine that with the fact that Vengeance Veil works off Kabonks, Iron Whips and Decimation, prevents them from wanting to nickel and dime a golem, and turns the worst cases of those already extremely strong spells into strengths, I feel that its worth giving what looks like a pretty 'meh' card (and it could all well be terrible) a shot. Looking forward to collecting it up and playtesting it.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2013, 11:00 
Spearman

Updated deck list based on testing. Still collecting the components of this, but I lowered the curve on the Order side. Creature count is low, but the deck plays reasonably well just trying to control the board early game with chump and burn. Getting a Vengeance Veil on an Ogre is unbelievably strong, and snowballs very quickly if your opponent can't get rid of him quickly. I'd like to fit Transposition and Desperation in there, but I'm having trouble finding the space.

http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/?d=1042

PostPosted: June 8th, 2013, 13:44 
Spearman

Build I'm running at the moment due to a missing Scattergunner and Blessing of Haste.

1-1 so far against Order. First game just couldn't quite recover, second game went for 90+ rounds, and I was behind for 40 of them. Stalemated for about 20 turns and turned it in the end. Definitely need to improve the early game. Not sold on the Scattergunners, but there aren't many options in Energy that are suitable. 2 is probably the right number for now.

One thing about playing with this deck is you to learn to prioritise and evaluate what you can burn off the table this turn, and what you need to deal with ASAP. The only thing in Order that really presents a problem is Vanguard and General- they just have huge health pools, so its card inefficient getting them off the table. Considering throwing in 2 Thunder Surges, but what to take out?

All in all, if I can fix the early game, I think the deck has legs. Vengeance Veil is really great- turning Kabonks, Desperations, Iron Whips and even Sparks into Blessing of Hastes is as good as you imagine it to be (that is to say, very good). Potion of Resistance is just such a stupid spell and works really well with Vengeance. Unlike most Energy decks, this deck struggles with Spikey units.

I think a good idea is to try replacing the Scattergunners with Destroyers.

Interesting interaction- Vengeance Veil triggers prior to something dying, so it works stupidly good on Clock Libraries- especially with a Potion of Resistance. Kabonking one to 0CD feels very rewarding.

Will keep trying to track down 1 last Blessing of Haste.

http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/?d=1053

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 00:34 
Spearman

Going to test Resonant Helm in the deck as well. Seems like it will have good synergy with the high number of spells and enchants.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 00:33 
Newcomer

Very nice deck. I've been experimenting with one along those lines. The hard part is getting to 7-8 energy before a growth deck swarms you...

One killer spell I find is Roasted Bean potion. Makes your ogre even more unpredictable!

I'm curious, why do you use 3 Flip scrolls? I've never used them.
And why do you keep 3 Inferno Blast? You whip your ogre with it?

What a great game

PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 05:08 
Spearman

Inferno Blast can be used as a single damage in a pinch, or to soften up a Kinfolk Veteran for Burn and getting something else out of it too.

Flip is just a really useful spell. Great for getting Spikey units out of the way, things you really want to kill in the way, or putting Waking Stones in the corner where they belong. Its a versatile spell.

I've considered Roasted Bean Potion, but its tough to fit in because you need to strike the delicate balance between having enough burn/support spells, and yet still have a impact on the field when you drop the combo.

Having said that, I don't feel the deck will ever be super competitive because of Pushback & Purification, however its definitely fun to play with.