All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently October 21st, 2019, 16:21

Post subject: Strategic Angels Deck List - Updated weekly
PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 18:56 
General

In-game name: Squiddy

Welcome to the SA Deck List thread 2.0!

I'm taking over the job of organizing the various decks Strategic Angels come up with and use, in an effort to help out beginners to Scrolls as a whole.

It is expected of my fellow Strategic Angels to submit a deck along with an how-to to me personally via PMs at least once every two months. Once a week, this thread will be updated with one of those decks.

Current decks

Decks will be organized in terms of what patch they were used, to give a better overview of how viability of decks have changed as the game has evolved.

Version 0.112.1

Soldiers rush idols
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36185#p36185

Bombard Energy
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36186#p36186

Scaling growth
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36189#p36189

Version 0.112.2

Energy Tempo
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3939&p=37582#p37582

Version 0.113

Rebellion Ranged Energy
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42252#p42252

Watchergeddon 2.0
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42382#p42382

Last edited by Squiddy on March 21st, 2014, 01:05, edited 8 times in total.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Strategic Angels Deck List - Updated weekly
PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 19:03 
Scholar

In-game name: Yann
Strategy : how to use

Deck # 1 : Soldiers rush idols : http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#10057

Main strategy : Rush idols.

Description :
Here you're gonna play something that I find very fun. You're gonna rush for the opponent's idols. It can make you win within 10 rounds (and thus get the achievement amazingly fast). It's also risky because if your opponent is able to clear the board very quickly you can lose the match. But keep in mind that Quake and Thundersurge have a cost of 6, and by the time your opponent gets to 6 resources, you already have a ton of things to do :)

The first thing is to try to get the center line. In order to do so, early creatures like Crossbowman, Aging knight, Wings Soldier and Ducal Infantryman, can help have a presence on the center line very early and reter your opponent from contesting the center line. If you don't get the center line first, either try to contest it if it's not too risky for the life or your units, or just go on a side, protect yourself with Wings Shield and Horn of Ages, and Redeploy to take the 3rd idol.

Crown of Strength is a decent round 2 if you don't have drop 2 units, plus it will prevent your unit from being Soul Steal.

So you're gonna try to hit the opponent's idols as fast as possible. The ideal row will be to have Wings Shield in the front, Wings Captain in the middle, Skirmisher at the back. Putting Fleetness on your Wings Captain can cause trouble if your opponent does not have a quick answer.

Try to have your units survive. You can still have presence on a row quite safely thanks to Horn of Ages, and if all the rows seem protected, remember you can use Redeploy at some point.

Finish or begin to finish (!) your opponent's idols thanks to Caller's Bane, Decimation and Faith Chains.

This deck is risky and technical, but can prove to be very strong. If the lucky draws are with you, you will feel strong indeed :). I know that people would run early aggro order with different scrolls, but this deck is what I would play currently. :)

Also I would like to thank Cantor and Ordaricc for the ideas they could give me to improve the deck.

Cheers,

Yann

Edit : Replaced a Crown of Stength with a Flip. I tested this variation suggested by Nicon and Cantor, and I find it good.

Edit 2 : I've just reached the top 50 with this deck.

Edit 3 : This deck won't be as powerful when Wings Captain gets nerfed.

Last edited by Yann1989 on January 11th, 2014, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 19:10 
Vanguard

In-game name: Lahopaa
This is a pre-Rebellion deck. Can be used as a budget version of ranged E, but should not be considered competitive anymore.

Deck # 2 : Bombard Energy
http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#13254

Main strategy : Board Control ,Ranged units

Description : This is the deck I have found the most fun to play for a long time now, and started using in ranked after the reset. I'm currently at 1700-1750 rating, and have reached the top30 with the deck.

I think the main strategy is to try gaining the board control, and focusing on keeping it. As long as you can keep units on the board and the right spells in hand this deck can be very strong.
The deck consists mainly from ranged units and spells that reduce their cooldown or buff their attack. As extra tools there are some direct dmg spells and 2 structures.

Units: 1-3 cost ranged units are what you usually base your game around. These can be dropped on the field with a bombard to attack instantly. Cannonetta and Storm Runner can often be used to kill multiple units with one attack, and they are great targets for Machinated. There are also 2 high cost creatures Gravelock Elder and Cannon Automaton. I use these mainly as front row "blockers" after I get some weaker creatures on the field. (Dust Runner, Gun Automaton, Scattergunner, Cannonetta, Storm Runner, Gravelock Elder, Cannon Automaton)

Structures: These are placed mainly in the front row to protect creatures behind them. Automata Forge gives you fairly strong tokens and you can gain a lot of card advantage from them. I also have Clock Library for extra card draw and blocking. It can be hard to trigger, but if it does you get a nice boost. (Automata Forge, Clock Library)

Spells & enchantments: The buffs and CD reduction spells help to make use of your units at every turn. You want to keep some of these spells in your hand at all times to have more options with your creatures. I usually favour Iron Whip over Machinated in the early game, and Bombard over Fury. (Iron Whip, Machinated, Fury, Bombard)

Direct Damage: These spells are useful for taking out key units or stopping the enemy from playing units outside of your creatures attack range. To get good use from these you need to predict what units the enemy might play and keep the spells that can deal with them. Thunder Surge is a bit situational because it is very easy to play around. I try to keep 1 in hand at all times to punish the opponent if he plays too many weak units together. (Spark, Burn, Violent Dispersal, Thunder Surge)

The hardest matchup for this deck is Growth. It can be very hard to keep up with the card draw and creature spam. If you can't get the board control early it may become impossible to gain later. Surviving quakes can also be hard, and you should always keep options in case your board is wiped.
Most other decks I don't have too much problems with. When playing against Decay and Order you need to remember they also have some ranged units that can attack if you use Bombard.
This also makes the Energy mirror match a bit weird. It gets really hard to make a comeback when your own units get killed if you don't destroy every enemy ranged creature when using Bombard.

Variations:
There are some scrolls you can change to others you might prefer over what I have used. Spark, Clock Library and Cannon Automaton are the ones I think most often are missing from other decks. The alternatives can be for example Solemn Giant, Potion of Resistance and other spells like Tick bomb, Blind Rage, Concentrate Fire and maybe the new Piercing Projectile.
The buff on Scout Automaton has made it a lot better, and it can also work well in the deck. I like it more than Piercing Projectile at the moment.

Last edited by LahoPaa on June 15th, 2014, 19:43, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 19:35 
General

Re-post from the previous thread:

captainregal wrote:
Strategy : How to use

Deck # 3 : Scaling Growth

http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#10534

Main strategy : Smooth Mana Curve so we can deal with growing threats. God Hand to end the game.

Description : Here you're gonna play something consistent. You're gonna be playing something that costs exact Mana every turn . This deck allows you to put on many threats, hopefully forcing your opponent to always play defense. Things can back fire if your opponent is able to produce more threats than you. Keep in mind that Quake and Frost Gale give you the possibility of a comeback.

The first thing is to try to get out Kinfolk Ranger-Breaker-Brave. If you don't get the center line first, that is alright your early threats should outnumber his. You will be able to threaten more idol damage them your opponent.

Resist the temptation to rush out your Kinfolk Brave they will have lots of removal early on. Force them to deal with your other threats first and then surprise them with a brave or two.

If you are vs decay (Likely) hold on to your Druid Burial Grounds and wait for them to use Brain Lice. Then surprise them with DBG to heal your poisoned units. This can really mess with decay's tempo.

Finish or begin to finish (!) your opponent's idols thanks to Rally, Mangy Wolf, and God Hand.

GlHf,

CaptainRegal

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 20:17 
General

Orwald suggested the following deck, which is (with minor variations) the most commonly played Decay thread in the higher rankings:

Deck #4: Meta Decay

http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#10859

Main strategy: Board control and idol hate until you can win via a watcher and necrogeddon combo.

Description:
Decay is quite a popular faction, and it is primarily because of how friendly unit losses can in fact be beneficial to you.

Key scrolls:
Watcher - idol hate, integral to the finishing blow, and punishes creature removal of creatures adjacent to the Watcher.
Return to nature - mass removal of 2-3 HP creatures, without triggering
Harvesters or Watchers.
Necrogeddon - Combos most excellently with the Watcher, and is unexpected burst damage that can clear your opponent's board or take out idols.
Oblivion Seekers - Excellent ranged creature, that nets you cards!

Main strategies:

Idol hate. Idol hate. Idol hate.

That is what you as a mono decay player is going for, that and board control. Start off the game by placing as many creatures as possible onto the board, and getting your Harvester out as early as you can to benefit from all of the creature deaths. With removals such as soul steal and damning curse, you can take care of the big threats that will pop up around turn 4 or 5 (such as an opponent harvester, wings captain, brother of wolf, and more).

Remember, you want board control, so don't be afraid of using your Harvester as an impromptu wall if that means you can save some of your lesser creatures to die.

Once you get 4-5 creatures on the board, and reach 6 decay, that's when you get your watcher out, and prepare for a devastating Watchergeddon.

Some notes:

• Try not to sacrifice your Oblivion Stealer for resource or cards, try to get it out on the field instead.
  • Hold onto your return to natures versus Decay, and Growth (and sometimes, Order), so you can use 2-3 in one turn to remove all 2-3HP creatures.
  • Playing against a structure & removal heavy Energy deck? Try to get watchers out early on and place your important creatures adjecent to them. If they remove your watcher, your creatures survive - if they get rid of your creatures, the watcher deals idol damage.
  • Do not go for a Watchergeddon if it means you might not finish off your opponent, and just lose board control

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 22:32 
General

Deck #5: Energy Tempo

http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#11229

Main strategy: Board control via structures, burst damage and finishing power via order/energy combos.

Description: A novel take on the energy structure deck, achieving ramping much faster with the help of memorials which synergize greatly in a structure energy deck. As such, you got on your disposal a number of order scrolls which will help you maintain control over the board until you can deliver the finishing blow.

Key scrolls:
Tempo Theft
Machine Divinator
Iron Ogre
Speed
Focus
State Machine

Main strategies:

This deck plays very much alike a standard energy structure deck, in that you want to initially get structures out on the field and a machine divinator behind the beefiest one. You deal with threats early on via Charge Coils and Ether Pumps, but essentially you just want to hold on until you can get board clearing and heavy unit removal scrolls in the form of Thunder Surge and Burn (in addition to general damage structures such as Charge Coils/Ether Pumps/State Machines).

If you get up to 3 Order during this ramp, then take advantage of it - the Order scrolls are not just there for Iron Ogres. You can for example trade the countdown between State Machine and a Clock Library with a tempo theft - netting you scrolls whilst simultaneously keeping a creature deterrent on the field for 2-3 more turns.

Once you hit the magic resource point of 6-9 energy and 3-4 order - you focus on clearing the board even more, or hit the idols if you're in control of the board. An Iron Ogre at 7 cost, plus a 2 cost machinated, will when combined with a Speed/Tempo Theft mean that you got 12 damage out of nowhere. Throw on a focus on top of that, and you got yourself a 15 damage burst.

Some notes:

[*]You can add in Solemn Giants if you want even finishing potential.
[*]As mentioned, take advantage of your Order splash as soon as possible - you can benefit greatly from speeding/tempo thefting libraries that would otherwise get destroyed.
[*]Want even more countdown reduction? Add in Blessing of Haste in lieu of one of the energy scrolls.
[*]Want even more burst damage potential? Throw in Magma Packs for an obscene amount of potential damage out of nowhere.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2014, 20:14 
Vanguard

The decklist has been very inactive lately, sorry for that. It might get some new submissions with people recovering from the shock of rebellion and the nerfs after.

This deck is getting old and might not be considered as competitive anymore. I still think it's a good base for a ranged energy build until the next set arrives.

Deck #6: Rebellion Ranged Energy

This is a copy of the post I made in "Energy at high rankings" topic.

The basic strategy is the same as with my older energy deck. Control the board with your ranged units, spells and CD reduction.

This is the ranged deck I ended up using after the trip nerf:
http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#13253

I got to no.3 in the ladder last weekend so it has been doing pretty well.

I felt Powertrip used up too much cards without the cantrip so I dropped it. This also made cards like Solemn Giant and Sudden Eruption feel too expensive to use until very late in the game, and by that time I usually have other options too, or just a board full of units that can kill anything in combination with spells. Spark is kind of filling the role of Eruption, and with 3 TS I can have it most of the times I need it.

Many other energy players use State Machine, but I just feel it's pretty boring and annoying. It's great against growth, but I feel like I can deal with the other factions well without it.

Cannon Automaton is not in every ranged deck anymore, but I still like it. 4hp is low, but the 5 attack kills almost every unit in the game. Giants or maybe even Tempest Reavers might do the same thing, but I prefer the "simple" unit that leaves my unused energy for the Forges (that I LOVE to pump with this deck).

The Scout is mostly for the Echomaton combo, but I usually get a good amount of automatons out so the attack buff can be very strong. My other ramp cards are Smuggler and Forge. I use them whenever I safely can, and it helps a lot to gain cards.

I used to have 3 Dust Runners in the deck instead of 2 Thea and 1 Cannon, but now with order being more popular Thea is feeling very powerful again. Mulligan being added to ranked also meant that I usually get a decent early game even without the extra 1 drop.

Last edited by LahoPaa on June 15th, 2014, 19:42, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2014, 01:02 
General

Deck #7: Watchergeddon 2.0
http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#12329

Description:
A classic that with only a couple of tweaks is more than competitive to be stand up against the other decks come post-Rebellion.

Key scrolls:
Watcher
Necrogeddon
Harvesters
Ilmire Beast
Stitcher

Main strategy:

See the previous Decay deck guide for an idea on how to play, because this deck only differs in a couple of ways.

Eager scryers are in, as they are excellent stitcher targets (can turn them into 3/1/5 creatures with just one sacrificed shambler/loyal darkling/etc) as well as Blightseed targets (guaranteed card draw).

Blightseed can be used as a removal magnet, but should ideally be placed on the Eager Scryer or Oblivon Seeker - preferably while you got a Harvester out. If your opponent don't remove it, then great, but even if they do then you've protected another one of your creatures from destruction and you're still getting some card draw.

The Stitcher can as mentioned above combo well with Eager Scryer, but it is in essence a replacement of Grisly Graft some people used to run in the old Watchergeddon deck. It helps count down the harvester, while buffing up any units you so desire and set off Watcher damage in the process.

Do try to make use of the Blightseed/Eager Scryers, because they are included in an attempt to increase the scroll draw you need to quicker ramp up so you can reach the Necrogeddon at 7 decay.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 16:31 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Cashflo
Deck #8: Poison Decay
http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#12399

Since i wasn't able to build a successfull deck for ranked after rebellion, I haven't shared many decks till now.
But my new version of poison decay seems pretty decent:
I'm on the best way to get into top ranking again, after around 10 wins in 14 games.

Strategy
The main goal is to keep infectious Blight spreading and let your harvester attack as often as possible.

Combos
Bloodline Taint + Baleful With can be used as mass removal(especially against order).

Pillar of Fatigue + Mire Curse is evil aswell, because it forces your opponent to either increase their creatures countdown, or let them die by poison.

And if you have pillar fatigue out, you can use eager scryers, to draw cards, by moving them.
I think theres nothing more to explain.

HF

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 17:09 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Eman1159
I actually don't try to take advantage of slowing my own scryer. Its even harder to get him to 2 countdown by the end of your turn because he gets to 0 countdown and wants to attack. Unless you have two pillars or move him when you spawn. Idk just some thoughts, i do personally love these poison decks because you dont have to do much, just sit back and watch the magic haha. Good deck though! =D

PostPosted: March 26th, 2014, 21:19 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Cashflo
What's the problem with moving him, right after playing? You get one extra draw each turn.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2014, 02:05 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Eman1159
There is no problem with it, i just dont perfer it =p i use it as a "im just gonna place it where i need it and have the enemy struggle to react" type of deal.

Sorry for delayed response, been busy haha

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 13:17 
Spearman

In-game name: Falkenbur
Any decks for 0.121 sent in yet?

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 19:33 
Scholar

In-game name: Yann
Deck # 9 : Loyal to the Order

You know my never-ending love for Aggro Order. In this deck, even Loyal Darklings have remained loyal to the faction !

http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#13200

Creatures :

Drop 1 :
3x Aging Knight
3x Crossbowman

Drop 2 :
3x Wings Soldiers
3x Ducal Infantryman
2x Wings Warder
3x Loyal Darkling

Drop 3 :
3x Royal Skirmisher
3x Wings Shield

Drop 4 :
3x Wings Captain
3x Ducal Skirmisher

Spells :

3x Blessing of Haste
3x Focus
3x Flip
3x Vigor Extraction
3x Decimation
2x Redeploy
1x Horn of Ages

Enchantments :
Roasted Bean Potion

How to play :

Three simple steps :

Step 1 : Drop many creatures, you can afford controlling the board a little at the beginning to get the central line or against aggro decks. If it's not cost-effective, just go for idols. You'll have to evaluate the situation and know what your opponent's deck is to know your priorities.

Step 2 : Deal a lot of idol damage with your units and spells, you don't need to deal 10 damage though because you have Step 3. You can use some Decimations and Loyal Darklings in anticipation. Use tricks spells at your advantage.

Step 3 : Use Flips, Focus Redeploy, Decimations and Loyal Darklings to finish the work. You may come to a point when you're just aiming at surviving with units being meat shields until you get idol hate scrolls, because your opponent is better at controlling the board mid- to late-game.

Why I love this deck :
You are strong at the beginning, you have a lot of tricks, your opponent may have to make bad decisions to protect idols. And the evil comes with Vigor Extraction and Loyal Darklings. And it works!

Why I did not include Eternal Sword :

This scroll is expensive and rare, with little trading it's difficult to find.

Horn of Ages rocks !

Hope you like it !

Cheers,

Yann

PostPosted: June 15th, 2014, 20:42 
Vanguard

Deck #10: Fat Tempo

I have spent a long time looking for a competitive ranked deck that I enjoy playing. This is the one I ended up using after trying every faction and multiple deck types in the current meta.

The deck: http://www.scrollsguide.com/deckbuilder/#13255
http://scrolldier.com/deck/117
It is based on the popular tempo order decks that have been around for a while now. I have changed it to suit a playstyle I prefer over the more common idolrush with a quick win as the goal.
I also tried minimizing the amount of dead draws by dropping Ducal infantrymen and Warders. I feel the units I have in the deck can function without these support creatures that can be almost useless on their own.

The way I play it is more focused on board control. I try not to go for idols as long as the opponent has units on the board, but weakening the idols and spreading damage helps get the win. The higher amount of defensive 4-5hp creatures helps you stay in the game much longer than a faster and weaker order deck.

Creatures:

Like all tempo decks the curve starts low, from the 1 cost Aging knight. I have a fairly limited amount of early drops with only 6 1-2 drops and 6 3 drops. I try not to get too greedy with mulligans, but going for at least a 3 drop is needed.

After that the deck spikes at 4 cost creatures, where you have the very defensive Gallant defender and Knight scholar. These are great front row units with scholar giving extra draw when needed to keep ahead in hand size.
Wings captains are also a must for the added mobility, and Royal vanguards usually give you the winning damage boosts.

Ducal & Royal skirmishers are your most effective creatures with relentless, and you should focus attack and movement buffs on them. I also like to choose skirmishers as the unit to protect when I know I will lose something.

Spells:

Most of my spells are meant to give more utility for my creatures and help maintaining board control. Haste, Focus and RBP are the most important ones, making huge plays possible for very little cost. Speed and Eternal Sword are a bit costly, but still have their uses. I often sac them early for more usable spells. Swords should be targeted on your skirmishers, and especially Royal skirmisher to get the most out of the buff when putting it from 3->4 hp and away from easy removal.

The rest of the spells are aimed for the opponent. Flip and pother let you take control of the opponents positioning, and kabonk can give the critical 1 more dmg. The additional use of kabonk is to kill off Infectious Blight, and even Pother can be used as an extra move on your units. They also give some card draw, that helps the deck stay in the game longer.

Purification could be added, but so far I have not felt I need it too much.

Strategy:

Against faster decks you will often fall behind on the start, though not every single time. If the opponent get's early board control focus on staying safe, getting value for your cards and setting up a comeback with skirmishers. Remember to protect idols from snipes, as you should have the upper hand if the game goes on for longer even if you lose a few creatures in the progress. Sometimes the fastest decks just draw perfectly and you will be left without any chance of winning. But very often I can turn the game around before they can get enough damage done.

Most tempo decks use Warder to protect their creatures from Decay and Energy. I included enough 4+ HP creatures that I think I am fine without them. Play around TS, Mire curse and such, and try to minimize the amount of low hp creatures you play. Usually you have to start with weak creatures and take your chances, but as soon as you hit 4-5 order try focusing on keeping every creature on 4hp and away from removal.

I'm not an expert on Order, and have played very little of it in ranked. This is probably not the best version of tempo order either. I feel the idolrush version is a bit boring to play, and this deck has got me back up to the higher 1700 ratings.

The next patch will probably change the deck as some enchantments are getting buffed. Magic armor and healing might work out very well and I might go for a more lategame style.