All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently September 17th, 2014, 02:11

Post subject: Conquest Suggestion - The Great Scrolls War
PostPosted: July 21st, 2014, 21:05 
Infantryman

In-game name: Hutchhogan
So on the subreddit a few days ago, user WakeskaterX made a suggestion about a guild conquer mode. Since I'm a wet blanket, and generally don't like guilds, I balked at the idea and made a suggestion, so I thought I'd develop it a bit.

So here's the idea:

When you sign up for the gamemode, you are given a bit of a backstory which influences the rewards you receive for choosing a side.

So for example, you are a new recruit in the army of the empire, while on expedition in the Ilmire, your squad succumbs to poison, weakened you stumble into a small cottage, the elderly owners cure your illness with a strange, but potent concoction. Upon recovering the couple invites you stay in the village, using your skills to protect their home.

Choices:
1 - Join Ilmire - Reward 5 Decay Scrolls
2 - Remain with Aescalon - Reward 1 Order Scroll
3 - Join Khaile - No Reward
4 - Join Dyrrha - No Reward

After making your choice, you are taken to the world map, which is a hex board which displays the current territory held by your nation. Here's a quick mock up of what I mean:

As WakeSkaterX suggested, I think the game should be PvAI and PvP.

One way to do this would be for AI's difficulty to scale as it gets deeper in a territory's homeland:

So in the above picture, looking at Dyrra, the light brown is Easy AI, the orange is Medium AI, and red is Hard AI.

So now you can select a tile to fight (maybe it has to be touching your territory, or maybe can be one beyond that).

Also on the map, you might see where other players are attacking your territory:

If you click on these tiles, you can see who is attacking and who is defending. If the player is fighting a player, you could spectate the match. If the player is fighting an AI, you could issue your own challenge to the player and up the stakes.

So what sort of stakes could there be? I was thinking of a reputation system that is kind of like your ELO rating. The reputation displays how valuable you are to your side. But it could also play a role in how the devs make sure one side isn't overly dominating the others. So let's say Khaile is dominating, the devs could invoke the other territories to contact some active players with bribes to change loyalties.

Also perhaps some territories are more valuable, or maybe more difficult to attack (i.e. perhaps there are some fortresses on tiles, which give defender idols 15 hp, or markets which would usually let players buy scrolls from their faction decently cheaply, that would continue to sell them to the conquering nation when the shops fall into other hands.

TL;DR

A hex map conquest mode, you join a faction aligned with a particular resource. You can fight players or AI, defend or conquer lands, gain benefits and reputation and bring the war of Scrolls from the flavour text to the full game.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Conquest Suggestion - The Great Scrolls War
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 00:09 
Spearman

In-game name: dmatthew
While I like the idea, I'm a little confused as to how it works with large amounts of players. If you lose a battle, you just lose reputation? Then how do tiles get conquered into another faction?
Also, how long would this mode last before ending, and how many players would play? Would everyone join, or would you have to pay to start and then pick a faction and join in the middle of a war? Would it be a community thing, or a private thing?
And while I really hope something like this gets added, I really don't see it happening any time in the near future. But who knows!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 01:04 
Infantryman

Hey dmatthew,
Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can sort out how I see things (keeping in mind this just a pipedream)
Quote:
If you lose a battle, you just lose reputation?

Nope, you'd lose the tile you were fighting over also. Maybe the game has a limit of how many tiles you can conquest for on a given day (though I think being able to "practice" on your own tiles would be a good idea).

Quote:
Then how do tiles get conquered into another faction?

By beating a player or an AI on that given tile.

Quote:
Also, how long would this mode last before ending, and how many players would play?

Dunno if it'd end, though I think new maps could be added to give players a reason to continue playing (i.e. maybe a new island that has to be explored for a colonies expansion?).

Quote:
Would everyone join, or would you have to pay to start and then pick a faction and join in the middle of a war?

I think that when you select the game mode, you're first prompted to choose a side (with incentives to push you towards picking a faction that needs you).

Quote:
Would it be a community thing, or a private thing?

Mostly community, but you could only play against AI if you wanted.

Quote:
And while I really hope something like this gets added, I really don't see it happening any time in the near future. But who knows!

Exact same boat. Just a pipe dream.

Thanks again

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 01:28 
Vanguard

In-game name: K1110n
This game mode sounds like a game I played on IOS called SevenSwords. The only difference is that this game was a PvP, MMO, brawler that tended to consist of teams of around 15-20. I believe that even if you weren't fighting over your area of the map that you still could choose a side. I do like the sounds of this game mode, but it's implementation would probably quite a bit different then what seems to be pictured here.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 09:27 
Spearman

In-game name: Mankarn
I don't really like this idea because it seems like you need a very limited player pool for it to work. Just imagine 100 people playing this at once, all tiles would be occupied.

You'd have to change it so you don't conquer a tile from a single victory. This would allow several people to fight on the same tile. The winner could be decided by the faction that won the most on that tile after a given time.

You'd have to differentiate between a victory against the AI and against a player as its much easier to beat the AI.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 13:35 
Scholar

In-game name: Paralykeet
I like the idea- but it doesn't make much thematic sense, given that (to my understanding)- the game of Scrolls is a replacement for war in this world. It's a sort-of Olympic competition to handle disputes, or to find glory. Thus, a campaign mode would likely more focus growing as a caller, instead of conquering other nations.'

I do, however like the idea of guilds wagering control over hexpieces of the actual map- in a sort of terf-war subgame. But that subgame itself presents a host of community building troubles to consider.

Check out my Community of Heroes project :D
Erratakeet Strikes!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 13:39 
Infantryman

Quote:
I don't really like this idea because it seems like you need a very limited player pool for it to work. Just imagine 100 people playing this at once, all tiles would be occupied.

There are a couple of ways to deal with that, like having a very large number of tiles and limiting the number you can challenge per day (though I think you should be able to practice on your own tiles beyond that limit).

Otherwise there could be multiple instances of it, though this is less ideal. But if you have maps limited to so many active players at a time is another method.

Quote:
You'd have to change it so you don't conquer a tile from a single victory. This would allow several people to fight on the same tile. The winner could be decided by the faction that won the most on that tile after a given time.

That's another method, though it might make the game much more difficult to understand. Could also be a best of X number as well where you can only challenge a specific tile so many times in a given amount of time.

Quote:
You'd have to differentiate between a victory against the AI and against a player as its much easier to beat the AI.

Personally I think it'd be better to let players just play against the AI and still make a difference. Maybe if they beat a player, the tile is locked down for a specific amount of time. But generally I'd rather incentivize PvP with a higher amount of reputation awarded.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 13:49 
Infantryman

Quote:
I like the idea- but it doesn't make much thematic sense, given that (to my understanding)- the game of Scrolls is a replacement for war in this world. It's a sort-of Olympic competition to handle disputes, or to find glory. Thus, a campaign mode would likely more focus growing as a caller, instead of conquering other nations.'

I always took it as a Scrolls were the means that war was wrought on the land, where the prima soldiers were callers.

These are the flavour text that I'm thinking of:
"The sharpest mind I know. Wasted on war without surcease." - Aos, Royal Scribe

Time and again, he has brought victory. The Empire's reward is war.

"We don't need reserves. We have prisoners." - Lord Ungstram, Royal Strategist.

With Ilmire warring against the Empire, the rangers were put to use where needed.

And then the rebellion theme of everyone vs. the Empire after the Empire had grown stronger. Though I guess this is something we'll better understand once the devs release the actual campaign.

(and yes, this isn't a fully developed idea, just a pipe dream).

Thanks for the reply

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 14:15 
Vanguard

In-game name: Zugon
I always thought the four factions fought wars on their own and callers are simply mercenaries that work for whoever pays them.

Briefly shown here:
https://scrolls.com/2014/03/a-brief-his ... #more-4038

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 17:11 
Scholar

In-game name: Paralykeet
Zugon wrote:
I always thought the four factions fought wars on their own and callers are simply mercenaries that work for whoever pays them.

Briefly shown here:
https://scrolls.com/2014/03/a-brief-his ... #more-4038

I am corrected :) Thanks.

Check out my Community of Heroes project :D
Erratakeet Strikes!