All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently August 21st, 2018, 21:05

Post subject: A Wild idea
PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 13:50 
Infantryman

In-game name: NiekM
Hey I am a big fan of multiresource decks and Judgement. While I like how free wild-sacrificing makes it easier to make multiresource decks, I think it nullifies the whole point of having different resources. While brainstorming a bit I came up with a suggestion for Wild. I don't know if someone already came up with this and I am not saying this the best solution, but it's just something to think about.
Maybe it could work in Judgement, maybe in Constructed or maybe it wouldn't work at all.

The idea is that you can always sacrifice for either Wild or any of the resources in your deck, but when you play a scroll at least one of the used resources should be from that faction. So the amount of non-Wild resources limits the number of scrolls you can play from that faction per turn.

The advantages:
Splashing high-cost scrolls will become easier. You can (for example) sacrifice for 1 to 3 Growth (depending on how many Growth scrolls you want to play per turn) and put the rest in Wild, so by sacrificing for 1 Energy you can play fairly costly Energy scrolls.
It will add an extra dimension to sacrificing. Do you want more Wild to play stronger scrolls or more non-Wild to play more scrolls per turn?
At the start of a game, if you don't want to choose wich faction to sacrifice to, you can start by sacrificing for Wild and sacrifice for a faction once you play your first scroll.
Multiresource decks will still be slower than monoresource decks, but they don't have to rely heavily on cross-resource ramp and it is easier to have more than two factions, allowing for a larger diversity of decks.

The disadvantages:
Some unfair or unfun decks may become more prevalent with this change. Spending resources could also form a problem. It is not possible to choose if you want to use normal resources or Wild when playing a scroll. This is however already an issue, as it is not possible to pay for scrolls with Wild when you have normal resources (when using Surge or when you want to hold up current resources).

Feel free to point out why you think this is a good or a bad idea :)
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A Wild idea
PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 14:33 
Scholar

In-game name: kingsparis
"but when you play a scroll at least one of the used resources should be from that faction. So the amount of non-Wild resources limits the number of scrolls you can play from that faction per turn."

How are you gonna decide how much of x resource and how much of wild you use? The game mechanic don't allow that

PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 15:22 
Infantryman

In-game name: NiekM
kingsparis wrote:
"but when you play a scroll at least one of the used resources should be from that faction. So the amount of non-Wild resources limits the number of scrolls you can play from that faction per turn."

How are you gonna decide how much of x resource and how much of wild you use? The game mechanic don't allow that

Yes, you have a point there. Right now Wild is superior to all other resources and here it is neither inferior nor superior, wich causes this problem.
I tried to explain that problem in the disadvantages.

Possible solutions:
The resource selection could be handled like in MtG: duels of the planeswalkers, but I don't really like that as it adds a lot of complexity.

Right now you can't decide if you want to pay Wild or normal resources for scrolls either. This can be a problem if you want to keep your current Energy for Lightning Chest, Tempest Reaver or a Surge scroll.

Either there could be a solution so that you can decide what resources you want to use or it could be considered a feature: this would make multiresource decks a little bit weaker, but still more viable than they are right now.
  Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: April 15th, 2015, 14:13 
Scholar

In-game name: kingsparis
niekm wrote:
kingsparis wrote:

Yes, you have a point there. Right now Wild is superior to all other resources and here it is neither inferior nor superior, wich causes this problem.
I tried to explain that problem in the disadvantages.

Possible solutions:
The resource selection could be handled like in MtG: duels of the planeswalkers, but I don't really like that as it adds a lot of complexity.

Right now you can't decide if you want to pay Wild or normal resources for scrolls either. This can be a problem if you want to keep your current Energy for Lightning Chest, Tempest Reaver or a Surge scroll.

Either there could be a solution so that you can decide what resources you want to use or it could be considered a feature: this would make multiresource decks a little bit weaker, but still more viable than they are right now.

No!

Wild is good as it is and it does not nullify the point with different resources because you need different resources to even use wild.

Wild was introduced so multi resource decks would be more viable. YOur suggestion is just ridiculus