All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently August 21st, 2018, 17:11

Post subject: New Scrolls Ideas
PostPosted: April 18th, 2015, 07:51 
Vanguard

In-game name: clamlol
With the next design competition being a ways away, I decided to post some scroll ideas I have here in the hopes that some of yall might find their mechanics intriguing.
The more interesting scrolls
From someone who isn't very font of the new spell-based meta (new as in post-Waypoints). It's simple and it's Snargl, but I'd love to see this enchantment ingame.
I like the idea of conditional Ward scrolls like Verdant Veil, and thought a big Wardy wall that can attack occasionally would be fun.
I'm honestly surprised Growth doesn't already have a "When an enchantment comes into play" scroll. And if you haven't guessed by now, I like units with a lot of Health. Also I just need a 6-drop for my enchantment-based deck, because both Growth 6-drops are pretty weak ATM.
The somewhat interesting scrolls
A 4-Countdown creature would be interesting.
I think this would be a cool mechanic because it would make using creatures as walls annoying for the opponent. Also decay needs more ghosts, because Revenant is the only ghostly unit right now and it dies too fast. (And no, it doesn't have to look like the Hooded Haunter.)
The scrolls that would just be plain annoying
Spoiler: [show]

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by clamlol on April 21st, 2015, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Scrolls Ideas
PostPosted: April 18th, 2015, 12:05 
Scholar

In-game name: kingsparis
I have one thing to say about about all these scrolls:
They are all OP as hell.

And i don't like assasins stealth because both players should be able to see the oponent units.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2015, 18:33 
Vanguard

In-game name: RedNNet
I really like some of these ideas, tho they are OP.

Nausea:
I'd remove the initial CD increase. Also, probably should only be playable on creatures because that fits the lore & decay, and playing it on something like fulmination conduit would be OP. Also, it combos with eager scryer, which imo is a boring and annoying mechanic. So maybe just playable on enemy units.

Marsh Walker:
4 countdown just doesn't work, especially for a smaller unit like that and for a resource w/o CDR. It'll just end up as a 3 health wall. You could do a 4 cd countdown creature in order, but you'd nee

Ember Golem:
This is really OP. Also, it's a bit too similar to iron golem. It also is too complicated and has too many ways of staying alive. I would redo the name/lore, and just keep the ward mechanic. I really like the ward mechanic. I'm not sure if the devs have included any ward in energy, and if not there's probably a reason for that, I guess.

Spark Railgun:
I don't think the faction with the most (annoying-type) spells should get many spell-hate scrolls. I guess that also applies to the golem above. I think another row-attacking structure would be nice though, and counting down unlike oculus cannon could be interesting.

Oaken Giant:
Big creatures with armor are really annoying to play against. Besides that, I like it because it doesn't have relentless. I'd remove the armor and make it unique (so give it a name), decrease the health to 5, and decrease the cost to 5. Maybe tie it into the oak blood (vilewood tree) lore. Also, I think it might be a bit too controlly for growth, so it might be best to use the CDR mechanic for a cheaper creature with 3 countdown.

Assassin's Stealth:
Invisible things would be annoying to play against. What if you weren't paying attention when your opponent played this? Personally I like to watch videos or whatnot while I play scrolls sometimes.

Whispering Ghoul:
I really like this one, but it's kinda OP. I'd decrease the attack to 2, because that way, you can paralyze a unit on the front line then finish it off with another creature on the next turn. I'd also make it undead, so maybe stats of 3/3/3 or 2/3/4 or 2/2/4 4 cost.

Some of these mechanics are pretty interesting and I think you should improve them.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 03:24 
Vanguard

In-game name: clamlol
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I'll make the following changes to the scrolls now.
Nausea: cost 3, no initial countdown increase. I thought that would be ok since it's also present on Stifled Advance, but Nausea is much stronger than that scroll.
Ember Golem: no Pillage healing, 5 Attack.
Oaken Giant: no Armor. No Health reduction because like I said, Growth needs another 6-drop and I like big walls.

I'm not changing Whispering Ghoul because a 2/3/4 would be only marginally stronger than Ilmire Tribesman, and possibly even weaker than Slayer Vestige. Good call on the Undead though, I'd forgotten that Revenants were also Undead.

I'm also relegating Assassin's Stealth and Spark Railgun to a spoiler at the bottom of the post, since I see what you mean about them being just plain annoying.