In-game name: ikraen
Reduced fence for T2 T3. Just skimmed, and I can totally agree with that

Their way
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Random Suggestions & "Should Wild be Removed?"
PostPosted: May 16th, 2015, 21:09 
Scholar

In-game name: K1110n
I feel like some of these ideas are just nitpicking at what feels wrong with the game. I don't think that any of these suggestions would solve the problem.

For one, I remember when most of those mechanics were different in one way or another and were more unbalanced/confusing in that state. Poison for example, lasted 3 turns but couldn't be healed off. Thematically, I don't think it makes more sense than the current version: poison is a sickness that lasts forever and healing removes it. Ward also used to like shroud in MTG where if a unit had ward, nothing could target it allied or enemy spell. That might be better balanced than it is currently, but I think that we just need more indirect scrolls that deal with the board state rather than the creature itself (we don't really have that many scrolls, most are in order). Cantrips are good, especially in an RNG based game (hearthstone moreso than scrolls), but I do agree that there shouldn't be that many cantrips, but maybe instead of removing the draw component why not add a deficit? It would achieve the same thing, but might lose it's favor in particular designed decks. Try looking at these mechanics from multiple angles, then come back and tell me a better idea than what I've thought up (and no I haven't really stated my ideas because they are still being fleshed out). So far I'm not convinced that these suggestions would actually be beneficial.

Secondly, there is such a thing as healthy RNG (RNG that can easily be tailored to suit a player) in a game such as scrolls, Rat King is an example of that. It is not hard to position the rats where they are needed since the cast size can be manipulated by targeting the foremost or backmost tile. Often I find that I'm using rat king to defend creatures so I usually cast it in front which is basically the same as the old rat king. I do recall some people called this change a buff when it first came out because it could be cast in an area, but really all this did was allow for the rats to be spread farther apart. Think about old rat king, didn't it actually spawn rats in a 7-tile area? One rat would always summon in the center and the other two would spawn next to it. So I guess it is a small buff where the rats have a chance to not summon next to one another, but it's really no different from the old one, just added a bit more healthy RNG. An example of unhealthy RNG is hellspitter mortar (can't be controlled in any way). I do believe that RNG does help a game, so long as it's implemented properly. I have played hearthstone a bit and there are some random mechanics that I feel would suit scrolls greatly. It just a matter of figuring out how it would work.

Sorry about the rant, I just like scrolls a lot and I've never felt the need for change, especially the "extreme" suggestions. I would like to see some in the game, I'm just not sure I actually care if they do or not. I tend to just accept what I have and don't complain. I'd prefer it if there were some more complex mechanics, but that's just me. Anyways, I've taken enough of everyone's time, happy scrolling.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2015, 23:28 
Vanguard

In-game name: Archmage199
I disagee with or am ambivalent towards all of your suggestions except these, which I agree with:
• More symbols for effects, like the on-board animation for poison.
• The AI should use a large variety of decks, even if some are just variants.
• Display conditional effects on scrolls, similar to aging knight's "Aging Knight" effect.
• T2/3 scrolls don't sell very well, so they should have a reduced fence or no fence.
• An indicator which shows how many players are in each queue.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 19:05 
Vanguard

In-game name: RedNNet
@k1110n:
I agree about poison.
I think deficits to cantrips would be good in moderation. Do you mean taxing, or something else?
With rat king, I prefer the ability to summon a rat on a target tile, and I think new players might prefer that, but it isn't a big deal.

Here's a redo, based on the responses:
Spoiler: [show]

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 21:24 
Scholar

In-game name: K1110n
RedNNet wrote:
@k1110n:
I think deficits to cantrips would be good in moderation. Do you mean taxing, or something else?

I mean something more creative like discarding a card, the cantrip replaces your ability to sacrifice for scrolls or lingering spells you control count down by one. Something different than taxing, taxing works for those spells that shouldn't be cast more than once in a turn. Cantrips just need to have some negatives, not necessarily extremes. Kabonk is an example of a proper negative because it requires a unit to target to be dealt damage, though it doesn't seem like a negative since Scrolls is based more so around a board game rather than a card game. If it was based more around a card game, using that scroll would be a lot more difficult than it is now.