All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 03:36

Post subject: First Impressions: Rebellion Update #1
PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 05:17 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Rahnza
Hello, this will be a continuation of my series where I evaluate and discuss new scrolls being added to the game. It's been interesting to read back on my previous first impressions thread and see just how dumb I was about some of the new scrolls. In particular, I really attacked Ilmire Tribesman as a bad scroll, and called Watcher worse than Metal Wonder. Hopefully I don't do so poorly again.

Disclaimer: As in all of my First Impressions threads, I am discussing these scrolls with high rank competitive play in mind (unless specified). I also (still) have no test server access so I'm evaluating scrolls completely by intuition.

Order - 7 New Scrolls

Gallant Defender

This is Wings Shield's big sister, and they're quite similar. Gallant Defender gets 1 more health for 1 more Order, and its Armor effect is conditional. This is a pretty good scroll, but I'm not sure if I would replace Wings Shield with her yet - and I'm not sure about running both and having 6 defender units. You can depend on Wings Shield's Armor, but Gallant Defender might sometimes be a 2/2/4 for 4 which isn't that great.

Proposed Changes: If it was 1 Armor all the time and 2 Armor with the conditional, I could see it replacing Wings Shield easily. That said, Wings Shield is already quite strong so Gallant Defender is probably fine. Also, this scroll is missing the Soldier tag, I assume that's an oversight.

Infiltrate

This scroll is similar to Languid, Kabonk, and Vigor Extraction. Those scrolls all cost 2 resources while this one costs 3. I think Mojang is becoming leery of card draw. If this cost 2 Order I think it would be in nearly every deck, but at 3 it might be a bit too expensive. It's still quite good, however. If only multi-resource decks were more viable, this would be another interesting Decay/Order combo with Eager Scryer.

Proposed Changes: As mentioned, it could go to 2 Order to be more usable. As frustrating as scrolls that increase CD are, it might be fine at 3. It's hard for me to say.

Pilgrim's Feet

I can't knock this card. It won't be seeing any competitive use, but it is an interesting way to format a healing enchantment. It has synergy with Roasted Bean Potion, so it has to be good.

Proposed Changes: None. It'll join the pile of cheap enchantments like Resonant Helm and Vengeance Veil, but it might get played in Judgement by a guy who got a bad draft.

Righteous Partisan

The name confused me at first, since a partisan is a type of spear and this dude clearly uses a mace. But it probably refers to a military partisan, which is basically like an untrained citizen militia that fights off invaders. Anyways, this is another conditional scroll. Conditional scrolls should be relatively weak before the condition is met, and relatively strong after the condition is met. This scroll at best is a 6/2/2 for 4 Order, which isn't very exciting. Sure, that's a lot of damage, but this guy dies to basically everything.

Proposed Changes: As we saw with Ilmire Tribesman, health is super important in this game. He's just too flimsy to be usable. Bump his health up to 3. This probably also needs a soldier subtype tag, even if partisans are not exactly trained soldiers.

Soldier's Bond

I've read that this scroll is amazing, and I've read that it's awful. I think it's right in the middle zone of mediocrity. It definitely has its uses and I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's strong enough to enter competitive play. However, I do think this will be quite strong in Judgement. The combination of this scroll and Faith Duty on something like a Knight Scholar is really funny to think about and probably really scary to play against (I used to talk a lot of shit about Faith Duty until I lost to some punk in Judgement who rotated through like 5 copies of the scroll - my stuff never attacked).

Proposed Changes: None.

Warding Stone

The recent popularity of Decay saw some Order players running Waking Stones again, and this scroll could be compared to that. My question is if "Draw a card" is contingent on the previous statement "When destroyed in combat." In other words - if I destroy this with a spell does the Order player still draw a card? I'm assuming that you get the card draw regardless of how Warding Stone is destroyed, making it essentially "free."

It's really hard to evaluate this card. It's not bad, but does it do enough for 3 Order? I'm not sure. It's not as defensive as Waking Stones, but I think the Pushback effect and the card draw make up for that. It may become the card of choice for Order players who want to defend against Decay, but I don't think it'll enter a lot of competitive decks. It might be a good sideboard option.

Wings Spear

There was a time when Order ran 6 spiky units, and then 2-3, and then none. Will this card change that? I don't think so. You want your spiky units to have a lot of health, this way your opponent has to take the spiky damage multiple times to kill the unit. 2 Health is just too low. A lot of 1-2 resource units have the required 2 attack to kill the 3 Order Wings Spear, regardless of how much spiky damage it's retaliating with. This could be nice in Judgement, but not in competitive play.

Proposed Changes: This is also missing the soldier subtype, and like I mentioned before this scroll will not be useful unless it gets some more health. 1/2/3 may be more appropriate.

Order Summary & Predictions

If all of these scrolls were being released now, I would say that Order got the weakest of the bunch. However, there's still a lot more to come for the Rebellion set, and Order hasn't seen any rares yet. None of these scrolls are remarkable, but Infiltrate and Gallant Defender might see some use.

Energy – 7 New Scrolls

Boom Reaver

The Rebellion set is introducing the "Reaver" creatures - whatever those are. The Boom Reaver is remarkably unremarkable. Energy has a lot of viable 3 resource units, so I'm not sure why you would play this unless some sort of Reaver synergy is added.

Proposed Changes: None, this is a pretty vanilla scroll.

Echomaton

I haven't heard a lot of praise for this scroll, but I think it's great. Some people thought Metal Wonder was going to be the savior of Energy, but I'd much rather have this. This scroll also punishes your opponent for playing spells - and in a big way. Not only does this creature get buffed a bit, it also refunds the Energy player 1 resource (eventually). Quite good, even if 1/2/3 is really weak for 4 resources. Metal Wonder just stood there and also cost 4 resources so I'd say the Echomaton is more than viable. It's also worth noting that buffing the Echomaton in other ways (Machinated) or even just having a Scout Automaton out should also get you the +1 Energy. I see this getting played a lot, and automaton decks will probably become quite popular.

Proposed Changes: I can't think of any, this scroll is good.

Electrify

Supercharged didn't get played, so let's try this one, eh? It's honestly not too bad, but it's rare that your board is full enough with structures to make this worth casting. Could be cool in Judgement, but for competitive? Nah.

Hired Smuggler

People are going nuts over this card. I think it's decent. People also thought that Viscera Sage was going to be great but it turned out that it was really difficult to trigger his effect. I see an Energy player putting Hired Smuggler down on turn 2, his opponent positions to attack it, the Energy player goes for the idol to draw a card, and then the Hired Smuggler dies to their opponents' creature. So early on, you're probably going to be sacrificing board control for card draw. Later in the game, if you are maintaining board control and can protect the Hired Smuggler, it could be a nice card draw machine.

Power Trip

This is probably the Machine Divinator of this set. In other words, there's been a lot of scrolls that people have said are going to "fix Energy" and this is one of them. And yeah, it seems really strong to me as well. Just keep in mind that unless you're playing this out of desperation, this scroll probably won't be played until turn 6. But on turn 6 you can play this, draw a scroll, and have 8 Energy left on your turn. If you play another, you've now drawn two cards and have 12 Energy available on your turn. This is essentially the Imperial Resources of Energy and I can't imagine a world where 3 of these are not played in every deck. This also makes playing against Energy very uneasy, since you'll never really know how many resources your opponent has available.

Proposed Changes: Is this balanced? I have no idea. Energy is the resource I play the least, but this seems really strong.

Replicaton

This is another card that people seem to like, and I'm just not feeling it. It's a 3/2/2 for 3 resources, which isn't great even if you have a Scout Automaton on the field. You have to not use 3 Energy on your turn (which could be spent on pumping a forge or a solemn giant, or on playing other scroll) for the "replicate" effect - but your opponent can just ignore this thing anyways. The effect seems way too awkward to be useful.

Proposed Changes: Maybe bump it up to 3 health. It'd be straight up better than Boom Reaver then, but I don't think Boom Reaver was added to make waves.

Tempest Runner

All those Runner guys are pretty good. The Tempest Runner is no exception. 4 Health, 1 Armor is incredibly beefy for a 4 drop. Additionally, you can manipulate his attack by not spending resources on your turn, which means he can kill pretty much everything. This seems like one of the strongest creatures in this game.

Proposed Changes: None, I guess? I'd hate to propose a nerf on an Energy scroll, but wow.

Energy – Summary & Predictions

Energy has already received some really nice stuff in the Rebellion set, and there's more to come. Tempest Runner and Power Trip are probably two of the best scrolls in the game, and Echomaton and Hired Smuggler could also very easily enter competitive decks. As I mentioned, I'm not as familiar with Energy as other resources, but I'm curious what people think about its balance with these cards in the picture now.

Decay – 7 New scrolls

Baleful Witch

People seem to think this card is really good, and I'm not quite sure if I'm sold yet. That might be because I've never embraced the curse mechanic as much as some others. A lot of people like running scrolls like Bloodline Taint, but I found it awkward to use sometimes. That said, if you can get a lot of your opponents' units cursed, there's a large potential for Baleful Witch to be devastating. Cluster Hex + Baleful Witch does give you small radius Quake or Thunder Surge-like effect, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost (2 scrolls + resources). It's definitely not bad though.

Proposed Changes: None, I like the idea of creatures that have unique effects when they come into play. Especially in Decay, since they can make use of those weaker creatures.

Blade Husk

Remember when I said Ilmire Tribesman was bad and wouldn't get played because of the 3 countdown? Well here I am saying the same thing about Blade Husk. Hopefully I'm not so wrong this time. I think Ilmire Tribesman found its niche because Decay didn't have a lot of defensive options, and Blade Husk is like the offensive version of the Tribesman. 2 Health is just not enough to allow for your creature to complete a 3 turn countdown even if they have 4 attack and Relentless. Especially when there's a better offensive alternative to the Tribesman in this update...

Proposed Changes: I don't know, I guess the stats are fine for the cost. It's a bit too slow and a bit too fragile for my tastes.

Bog Hound

In "Dominion mode" this is essentially the Blade Husk without Relentless, with 1 more health, and 2 countdown instead of 3. I think I'd rather have the Bog Hound. I think some players will try replacing their Ilmire Tribesman with this. 2/2/3 is not great for a 2 drop, but with an idol down 4/2/3 is pretty good. All scrolls with Dominion depend on other strong Dominion scrolls, so you can justify just rushing down an idol and then letting your strong Dominion effects carry you through the game. Hopefully we get more.

Proposed Changes: None, I like it.

Cursed Presence

Decay has always had problems with playing against an opponent that hides their strong creatures behind a big bulky wall like Waking Stones or a Hellspitter Mortar. I think this is supposed to help Decay with those situations. It's an interesting concept, but I don't think it does enough. At best this will give 2 creatures Curse 2, which is worse than just doing 2 damage to a couple things.

Proposed Changes: I guess it's balanced but it seems a bit too gimmicky and awkward to play competitively.

Morbid Curiosity

If only Harvester didn't exist, I strongly suspect this scroll would cost less. Even with the Harvester combo this feels much too expensive.

Proposed Changes: Make it cost 3 or 4 and maybe I'd think about running it competitively.

Reaping Mask

This has got to be the most "win more" scroll in the game. It's a really fun concept, but 7 Decay is just way too expensive for this. That's about all I have to say about this. Wiping a lane with a Harvester that has this on it has to feel pretty good, though.

Proposed Changes: 5 Decay, but the entire concept of this scroll is so "win more" it's hard to consider playing it competitively, regardless of the cost.

Stitcher

What a crazy scroll. In a perfect world, this thing is amazing. Soul Steal a creature, and then stitch it to a Harvester, which was at 2 countdown but is now attacking and 10 attack 6 health. The problem is that at 2 health, your Stitcher will probably just die more often than you can pull off amazing combos like that.

Proposed Changes: I like the concept, but this also feels a bit overcosted.

Decay Summary & Predictions

I've primarily played Decay since the resource was released, and all I can really say is I hope we get some good stuff in the 2nd Rebellion update. All of these scrolls are just a bit too gimmicky for my taste. My favorite is the Bog Hound, and I hope there's some more good Dominion cards thrown in to justify rushing down that first idol. Baleful Witch might see some play, but it's a bit too dependent on cursing. The rest feels like overcosted gimmicks. Decay isn't exactly behind right now, so maybe Mojang is being careful about giving Decay some really strong scrolls.

Growth – 7 New scrolls

Culling the Flock

This is pretty interesting, but I'm not sure what you would use it on consistently. The only consistently solid target is Mangy Wolf, and that combo is honestly not that bad. It's strong for 2 Growth, but you do have to give up some board control when you destroy a target beast. But honestly, it might be worth destroying that Great Wolf or Striped Fangbear if you have a lot of Owls or Beast Rats ready to clear your opponent's board with the buff from this. I'm not sure how to feel about this, it depends on how consistently useful it is to determine if it will enter competitive play. That would require some testing.

Seed of Insurgency

As long as people don't start running Purification again, this scroll is actually not too bad. The problem is that the cost prohibits what you can use it on effectively. Sister of the Owl and Kinfolk Jarl are the obvious targets, but don't forget we have at least 1 more gigantic expensive Growth creature coming in this set. Don't underestimate this.

Proposed Changes: If it cost 5 Growth is could be really versatile, but maybe 6 resources is the right place for it. Either way it's pretty good.

Striped Fangbear

So, this is one of the most powerful scrolls in this update, and it's competing against stuff like Power Trip and Tempest Runner. I read another write-up of these new cards that said this was below average. Below average? Let's be real here, this card may as well just read 4/2/5 Relentless, because that's what it'll be 99% of the time. The other 1% is after you just wiped your opponent's board with your Striped Fangbears. This thing has insane value for 4 Growth, and there will be 3 in every Growth deck unless some sort of weird meta develops. Even if Automaton decks become the hot new thing, I'm sure they'll still run humans like Machine Divinator and Tempest Runner. Growth is looking good.

Proposed Changes: I don't want to suggest a nerf to this card, but it could be 3 health or 5 Growth and still be really good.

Unground

I think people are underestimating this thing too. Guess what Growth's #1 problem has always been? Answer: Removal. This is a big reason why they've always had problems against units like Wings Shields, Spearmen, Harvester, etc. Throw this on a Harvester, bash their idol with your Striped Fangbear/Sister of the Bear/Great Wolf and you just removed it for 2 resources. It also has pretty good synergy with the next card.

Vengeful Vaettr

Remember when Vaettr of the Wild was a really good scroll that was in every Growth deck? Well, this blows it away and it's common (the other Vaettr is uncommon). Play this on turn 2, hit their idol on turn 4, and play your Sister of the Owl on turn 5. You know, I was kinda negative about the Hired Smuggler and this is essentially the same thing. Both are good, but I feel like this mechanic benefits Growth a bit more. This lets you get to God Hand sooner and more comfortably, and you can combine it with Unground to keep board control while ramping and rushing idols.

Verdant Veil

Remember when everyone thought Untainted was going to be the most powerful, broken scroll ever released and I was like "nah, bro"? Well, no one really played Untainted. Mojang is still trying to make enchantments work, so here is Untainted 2.0. This protects against Spells and Enchantments which is probably better than Untainted's protection against Spells and Abilities. You also get a +3 to health to boot. Not bad. This would be pretty good on a Kinfolk Brave turn 3 to ward off a Soul Steal, Spark, or Burn - especially if you didn't draw a Breaker. I'm still not sure if this will be played (probably not competitively), but it could be easily.

Wetland Ranger

Well, Growth had to get something bad, I guess. This is kind of similar to an Ancestral Totem. The problem is that if it can't get through to an idol, it's not doing much. Also, Decay can deal with creatures more easily than structures. I'm also slightly offended that this is just a retextured Kinfolk Ranger (kinda like Boom Reaver:Scattergunner, I didn't mention that before).

Proposed Changes: 3 Growth.

Growth Summary & Predictions

Like Energy, there's a lot of strong Growth scrolls here. Striped Fangbear is especially powerful. That scroll along with Unground, Vengeful Vaettr, and maybe even Seed of Insurgency could easily enter competitive Growth decks.

Final Thoughts

You know, I considered taking out the "Proposed Changes" section, which is a testament to how strong this update is. In my last post, I complained about scrolls more than I discussed them. Here, there isn't a whole lot that I'd change about most of these.

If you are a Decay player who isn't running Soul Steal yet, you probably should after this update. There are a lot of 2 health creatures here, and a good number of them like Hired Smuggler and Vengeful Vaettr are going to be played.

The big question is how will Energy fair after this update. They got the strongest new scrolls. The Echomaton + Scout Automaton combo is great, and Tempest Runner is incredibly strong. Additionally, Power Trip gives Energy some crazy explosive power. So, I'm curious to hear what you think Energy will look like after this update (I know most of the cards are still to be released).

Thanks for reading, hopefully I'll be back for Rebellion update #2.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: First Impressions: Rebellion Update #1
PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 05:40 
Spearman

In-game name: Cukta
Here are my suggestions for decay (because I'm still a decay player):

Morbid Curiosity: It should cost 4, why, because for 5 decay I get something better; Viscera Sage + Uneasy Alliance + Regeniture. In an ideal world it would cost 3, however i think 4 is a good price to pay for use 1 less scroll

Reaping Mask: I would love to see it changed to be the "decay imperial resources" and I imagine something like this:

All the creatures in your side get +1 attack, +2 if you have more creatures than your opponent, if enchanted creature kills an opponent creature, encahnted creature is dealt 1 damage and you draw 1 scroll.

Stitcher: I like it, but it should be changed to 2/2/3

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 10:11 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Ghost_Bomb
I honestly don't get all of the Tempest Runner hype. Solemn Giant has the same cost, has similar stats, and basically fills the same roll of a resource hogging hard hitter. Solemn Giant, however, can attack every single turn without using cdr and can hit for 8 damage the very same turn it's put on the field for just 10 energy. The only real advantage Tempest Runner has besides the one armor (yippee) is that you can have multiple of them out which will maybe happen once or twice every ten games or so.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 12:09 
General

In-game name: Nicon
Yay. Its nice to see a review that I agree with. Been seeing some really strange reviews. Your proposed changes for the order scrolls was exactly what i had in mind.

Do you think the new order passive (less creatures on your side of the board) is a good ability? I imagine it is bad in the early game where order focus's on getting creatures out. But in the mid-late game every other faction can play more creatures than order, so it should work most of the time if you need it (if you aren't winning a lot), do other people see it this way too?
It should encourage enchantments and spells (which are quite bad with order right now), and gives order some comeback potential. But the units themselves felt too weak to be worth putting in competitive decks.

Replicaton isnt amazing, but as you said Tempest Runner (singed) is really good, and replicaton has some nice synergy with it. Its a duo that is very hard to kill, with a lot of damage output, Rep will keep returning to your hand (put it in front).
Power Trip leaves me a bit baffled. At 6 resources this scroll has no cost at all. Its free advantage, and everyone should put it in their decks. With the new resource ramps, the pumps, and the new scrolls that require current energy, this scroll will be so powerful. It does offer strategy with deciding what turn to use it, but i think it is too strong, with no setbacks at all.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 12:46 
General

I also think you underestimated some of the scrolls, especially the growth ones.

- God hand or crimson bull before you 'culling the flock', then sacrifice 3 attack owl. If you Crimson Bull, then sacrifice 3 attack owl, all beasts will get +5 attack and are healed.

- Vaettr Wild will give 2 permanent growth, its the strongest permanent ramping scroll released yet. Every turn if you decide to ramp up a resource, you could draw 2 scrolls instead. In a good situation this will give you 4 scrolls worth of resources, 4 idol damage, and possible even kill a few enemies in-between. It is very versatile, can be used to block or attack before you deal idol damage and ramp. I think it should be a 3 cost.

- Verdant Veil wont be played in most decks, but in the right deck it will be very strong. On a great wolf it will make it very difficult to kill, throw in some more enchantments for a super unit.

- Wetland Ranger. This scroll gets so much negativity. When was the last time an ancestral totem attacked anything. This thing will have 2 attack every turn and buff all the other creatures. Its not hard to attack an idol. Scrolls like god hand and crimson bull were wasted on ancestral totem, but they wont be wasted on him. It works with the new scrolls, like verdant veil and culling the flock. Unlike Ancestral, it will survive quakes and other things, its way better. It can attack enemy units or be used to block when its convenient.

Last edited by Nicon on January 27th, 2014, 13:39, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 12:54 
General

In-game name: Squiddy
I more or less agree with your review of the new scrolls.

I would like to see the following change though:

Sticher
4 Decay
1/2/5

Same ability, but each time it activates the ability it loses 1 hit point.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 17:15 
Scholar

In-game name: Ravenking
Theres a typo on tempest runner, it says armor 1 twice.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 21:12 
Vanguard

In-game name: 13Thirteen
Striped Fangbear is still below average in my book :P

Four resources... hmm, if only there was some sort of instakill that ignored hp which you could play on round 4... oh well, I guess it's unstoppable. If this one impresses you, you might as well play Jarl as well. Just my two cents, I'm sure I could be wrong, and maybe this will turn out to be so powerful it gets nerfed. I hope not, since Growth could use some help, I just don't know if this (or your other pick which confounded me, Vengeful Vaettr) is it.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 21:35 
Vanguard

In-game name: Badyuyu
Oh I wanted to do this but you were faster! Well saves me time ^.^
I still might do a short version still but we'll see. Good post anyway.

I agree with most of the stuff, especially the nerf on the Fangbear. That card is just bonkers!
The only part I dissagree with is Baefull Witch. I tried the card and it's like a Quake on a stick... for Decay... as much as my sinister Decay heart wants this scroll I can't in good concious support it. Decay should NOT have a quake spell. it's not a cost thing or weakening her stats I just think the ability in itself is too powerfull ^.^

Other than that just small stuff. I think Soldiers Bond needs a small buff like return it to hand if the creature dies. And electrify just kinda doesn't work since it was supposed to support structure decks but it's too bad for that and instead supports those very boring memorial decks. And the Replicaton buff I would suggest is lower the threshhold to 1 or 2 Energy!

But overall good job on the writeup! Thumbs up :)

The Think Tank

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 21:45 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Tengu
13Thirteen wrote:
Striped Fangbear is still below average in my book :P

Four resources... hmm, if only there was some sort of instakill that ignored hp which you could play on round 4... oh well, I guess it's unstoppable. If this one impresses you, you might as well play Jarl as well. Just my two cents, I'm sure I could be wrong, and maybe this will turn out to be so powerful it gets nerfed. I hope not, since Growth could use some help, I just don't know if this (or your other pick which confounded me, Vengeful Vaettr) is it.

Pretty silly consider a card below average for one scroll when against Order is always a 4/2/5 Renterless, when you can play it with Great Wolf or use it like a lightnint rod for the instakill that ignored Hp, when every deck out of there plays Humans and when it's a solid 5-Health for a cost of 4 with a so big potential damage. It forces you do not play humans, and it's almost impossible.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 21:57 
Skirmisher

In-game name: alsavi
I would say that Striped Fangbear is going to be used quite a lot. It is good against order and decay because both usually uses humans. And with humans in play this is a very very nice card. The difficulty is to decide the spells to remove to make space for this new beast.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2014, 12:08 
General

alsavi wrote:
I would say that Striped Fangbear is going to be used quite a lot.

Definitely. Apart from the fact that it has better stats than sister of the bear most of the time, the real selling point is relentless, which is amazing when growth has so many attack buffs. It will be so powerful. Will probably need its attack to become 4 -> 3 when humans are on the board. Since it still has relentless (and 5 hp) i believe every growth deck will use it anyway.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 00:36 
Skirmisher

In-game name: Rahnza
Badyuyu wrote:
The only part I dissagree with is Baefull Witch. I tried the card and it's like a Quake on a stick... for Decay... as much as my sinister Decay heart wants this scroll I can't in good concious support it. Decay should NOT have a quake spell. it's not a cost thing or weakening her stats I just think the ability in itself is too powerfull ^.^

So, I don't see it as a Quake for the following reasons:

* It requires 2 cards (Baleful Witch + Cluster Hex / Bloodline Taint). Quake is 1 card.

* Bloodline Taint and Cluster Hex rarely hits everything like Quake does. I tried Bloodline Taint when it was gaining popularity and it was awkward to use. It never felt like it did enough for 4 Decay (I thought it was overcosted), but maybe Baleful Witch will change that.

I think it'll still be a strong combo, I've just never been a fan of stuff that isn't really dependable. That's why I rarely ran Return To Nature when everyone else was; I had to sac the card too often in many matchups.

I'll definitely be testing out Baleful Witch in combination of Cluster Hex and Bloodline Taint when the cards are released and maybe it'll be really powerful (it definitely has potential). I would comment on how good it is now, but for some reason it's impossible to get access to the test server during a testing period of the game (all I'll say on that subject).