All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently October 19th, 2019, 19:12

Post subject: .selebu - the dot stands for awesome
PostPosted: November 24th, 2011, 12:53 
General

In-game name: selebu
Hey guys, I'm .selebu
I'm 23 years old, live in Cologne (Germany) and am a student of Event Management. I am very sad that I could not make it to Vegas, mainly because of money issues (a student from Germany flying to Vegas for a weekend? no way D:) Not only because I am a MineCraft (and now Scrolls) Fan, but because I was interested in the event itself.

My CCG experience started with YuGiOh!, which I played competetively for about 5 years.
Other CCGs include One Piece, VS System & WoW TCG (actively at the time). As well as Duel Masters & MTG (just with decks of friends)
I have no experience in board games or any other P&P games.
Apart from that, I play Super Smash Bros. Brawl competetively and have hosted many offline tournaments.

MineCraft has become an addiction for merely 3 months, so I'm not one of the early players, but I love it none the less.

I did not care about Scrolls till MineCon, which really made the game interesting for me.
I believe the commitment of the Mojang team towards this game is true. I believe that they want to create a highly competetive pvp game and that's something I always appreciate (see SSBB tournaments, YuGiOh!, etc.).
With their support and openess towards their fans, this game has great chances to be a success and to offer many aspects that I like about competetive gaming.
Another interesting aspect of Scrolls is that you can play it on a PC AND Smartphone. (I don't own Apple stuff)
This means I could play a quick game while riding a train or waiting at a station - or wherever I want!)

I hope to have long lasting, exciting battles against all of you and I wish for this game to be stay on the market for the next years to come.

Greetings,
.selebu

Edith says: also feel free to ask me questions if you like :)

Last edited by selebu on November 25th, 2011, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: .selebu - the dot stands for awesome
PostPosted: November 24th, 2011, 21:31 
Vanguard

Welcome .selebu! We're all glad to have another member on the forums, especially a member who posts. :P

We have plenty of discussion forums and even a wiki if you are interested. I hope you find your (hopefully long) stay on the forums satisfactory and I hope everything works out smoothly.

I'm not much of an introduction writer, (ShdwFlm will take care of that for you.) so I give a hearty hello and let fate have us bump into each other in the future!

The Blackstar Paladins

PostPosted: November 24th, 2011, 22:22 
Scholar

In-game name: Violix
Hey there! Welcome to our forum :)

It seems that you're probably one of the most experienced CCG players here so far. Playing competetively for such a long time is quite impressing! Did you play successful? Won any big tournaments? =P

I'm from Cologne, too! So, it's nice to have some people around being as interested in Scrolls as I am! From which district are you actually from? I'm living in Mülheim and study "Film & Animation" at the SAE Institute Cologne. However, I just moved to Cologne 3 month ago. I'm from Bremen originally.

Kind regards,
Vio

BLACKSTAR

PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 09:47 
General

@CornOnTheMob
Thanks for the nice welcome.
I already checked out the wiki a little bit and am reading my way through the boards. It's a pity there is not that much to discuss, so most threads are speculative and already kind of old.
But I'm enjoying it so far already :)

@Violix
Thank you :) As for CCG experience, I totally forgot to put the WoW TCG in there, which I also played kind of seriously, for a few months :D
I think I was a mediocre player. I placed decent in small tournaments, not so great in the big ones. I qualified for the German YGO championships 4 times in a row, which was kind of a big deal for me. I also attended all of them, but with less success. I think when it comes to these real big tournaments, my nerves have not been strong enough~ However, I won a qualification tournament to a Northrine-Westfalian championship, which was my biggest success, staying unbeaten for the whole tournament. That was all YuGiOh! btw.
I also tried not to play mainstream decks, I always had some hybrids of what is played in the metagame and what I liked to play. For most of the time (about 4 years) I played a hybrid between a Fiend Deck combined with metagame elements. Actually, all my decks kind of revolved about Fiends. What I liked the most was a Fiend/Shift deck. I could turn the match in only one round! That way it was more fun, but I guess sometimes it lead to less success as well (or maybe I just wasn't _that_ good :D).
I attended some WoW Tournaments and placed pretty well there, because I was one of the first adopters and just knew the game really well. But the tournament scene dried out pretty fast, it had only an initial hype at the beginning.

Now it's cool to hear you live in Cologne! I saw that you had Bremen on your profile and I already was excited that you are german :P I have been to Bremen twice btw. once for a YGO tournament and once for a SSBB tournament. Haven't seen anything of the city though, a real shame...

I live in Porz, so also on the Schäl Sick. My grandmother lives in Mülheim so I know a place or two there :) (there was also a place for YGO tournaments xD) How long do you study? Bachelor of 6 semesters?
It would be cool to meet someday, maybe there will even be a chance to go to some Scrolls related event or anything like that together in the future. Traveling together was always one of the best things about going to tournaments (no matter what game actually) My hopes are for Mojang to come to GamesCom next year...

Edith says: wow, what a wall of text haha

Last edited by selebu on December 30th, 2011, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 11:25 
Administrator

In-game name: kbasten
Haha, well done! Nice intro! There's everything one needs to know.

One more question: What similarities/differences do you see in Scrolls compared to YuGiOh? (Which aspects do you want Scrolls to have that YuGiOh also has?)

PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 12:01 
General

Hmm... let's see.
One great thing about YGO was the ability to play any spellcard, without much limitations. (this goes back to the crappy resource system, or the lack of one)
Because of this, even one turn could change the momentum of the game, which gave you a chance for a comeback.
I think it is a pretty fast paced game - at least between two very skilled players (or two very unskilled) - and I liked that a lot.
I also liked trap cards and quickspells, because you could interact during your opponents turn. I hope something like this will be possible for Scrolls.

However, I am more excited about the differences.
Obviously, the aspects of the gameboard had no role in YGO, so that's a very interesting aspect to see in Scrolls.
And the lack of a resource system (other than sacrificing monsters for other monsters, which pretty much sucked) was something I didn't like. I think the Scrolls one is something I will appreciate, because it's fairly simple (any card can be used as any resource) but you still have to manage your resources.

However, I think what I will miss the most is sitting in front of my opponent and seeing him/her face to face. It is so great to see your opponent react to your move and analyze his reactions. Kind of like poker. In YGO there was always a lot of trashtalk going on, to irritate or confuse your opponent. But there were also awesome conversations held and many friends made! (also as I stated before, I love travelling to tournaments and meeting all these ppl IRL)

Maybe not that eleborate on specific game mechanics (I don't know that many of Scrolls anyways) but I hope it answers your question

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 19:25 
Spearman

In-game name: Zeadar
Welcome, welcome! .selebu!

As you already heard, posting people are really apriciated. I'm really happy to meet new awesome people here! :D

PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 00:13 
General

Thanks Zeadar :)

PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 00:41 

In-game name: ShdwFlm
I can't believe I haven't posted in your introduction thread yet! :o

Welcome, .selebu, thanks for being so active thus far! :)

Usually I post a few questions, but I'll post those for you another time if that's okay.

Once again, welcome!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 23:40 
Scholar

selebu wrote:
@Violix
Thank you :) As for CCG experience, I totally forgot to put the WoW TCG in there, which I also played kind of seriously, for a few months :D
I think I was a mediocre player. I placed decent in small tournaments, not so great in the big ones. I qualified for the German YGO championships 4 times in a row, which was kind of a big deal for me. I also attended all of them, but with less success. I think when it comes to these real big tournaments, my nerves have not been strong enough~ However, I won a qualification tournament to a Northrine-Westfalian championship, which was my biggest success, staying unbeaten for the whole tournament. That was all YuGiOh! btw.
I also tried not to play mainstream decks, I always had some hybrids of what is played in the metagame and what I liked to play. For most of the time (about 4 years) I played a hybrid between a Fiend Deck combined with metagame elements. That way it was more fun, but I guess sometimes it lead to less success as well (or maybe I just wasn't _that_ good :D).
I attended some WoW Tournaments and placed pretty well there, because I was one of the first adopters and just knew the game really well. But the tournament scene dried out pretty fast, it had only an initial hype at the beginning.

Now it's cool to hear you live in Cologne! I saw that you had Bremen on your profile and I already was excited that you are german :P I have been to Bremen twice btw. once for a YGO tournament and once for a SSBB tournament. Haven't seen anything of the city though, a real shame...

I live in Porz, so also on the Schäl Sick. My grandmother lives in Mülheim so I know a place or two there :) (there was also a place for YGO tournaments xD) How long do you study? Bachelor of 6 semesters?
It would be cool to meet someday, maybe there will even be a chance to go to some Scrolls related event or anything like that together in the future. Traveling together was always one of the best things about going to tournaments (no matter what game actually) My hopes are for Mojang to come to GamesCom next year...

Huh... For any reason I somehow entirely missed your answer until now :D I'm glad that I came back to have look at it again! So yeah, playing together (and so traveling together) is most fun about playing games in my opinion. And playing it competetively and making friends with that is probably even more fun! So I'm looking forward to meet you some day ;)

Porz, mhhh?! Dou you know that? :D Pretty awesome parody!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GppxrYuhgIc

I really hope that Mojang is participating with Gamescom 2012, too! I had a season ticket this year and so I've been there all 4 days. It was my first Gamescom (since I wasn't able to go there from Bremen) and I liked it pretty much. Got this unique thing for example ;)

Kind regards,
Vio

BLACKSTAR

PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 10:04 
General

Yeah I know it :)
Spread like a bushfire on Facebook (among my friends from Porz)

Very cool shirt, indeed. The brother of a good friend of mine worked at the NCsoft booth, so he also got a shirt like this. I only grabbed some Wildstar merchandise, which I don't want anymore because I decided I don't want to play a MMORPG again.
Anyways it was my third Gamescom (since it was the third in Cologne :D) and it was the second best out of them (the first beeing the very best yet).
I am so sad that I couldn't work on this years gc, unfortunately my internship period started in August so it would have been of no use going to Köln Messe. I know the sister of the leading event manager for gamescom, so this could have been a really cool opportunity... Now I ended up in this lousy office of an event agency where I am treated like a cheap work force (which I am).
I don't learn shit here and talking to my boss didn't help. I tried it several times and all I get are empty promises. Ah nevermind. I will try to squeeze in another internship in the semester holidays next year. Maybe I can work part time at Köln Messe~

PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 11:50 
Scholar

selebu wrote:
Now I ended up in this lousy office of an event agency where I am treated like a cheap work force (which I am).
I don't learn shit here and talking to my boss didn't help. I tried it several times and all I get are empty promises. Ah nevermind.

Awww that really sucks dude. I wish you all the best for your job and your future. There will be other places to work at and still lots of experiences that you can gain. So, that stupid event agency is not "das Ende der Fahnenstange"! ;D

At least you're able to browse through ScrollsGuide on your work. So that's a pretty nice side effect, isn't it? :)

Kind regards,
Vio

BLACKSTAR

PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 11:56 
General

Yeah it is.
But that's just because there is nothing challenging to do here :D

PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 05:35 
Infantryman

Sorry to hear that your internship doesn't provide learning opportunities! I'm not very familiar with the event management field but it sounds very interesting. Is there a specific area of event management that you are planning on going into?

PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 10:16 
General

Well, to be quit frank its the gaming industry.
I got a grasp of this profession by hosting tournaments for Smash Bros. and I could not imagine a better job for me.
It was fun managing all these players, setups, insurances and what not and even though I was exhausted at the end I knew I wanted to do this professionally.

Now, I'm not yet sure how easy it will be to get a job as event manager in the gaming industry. Of course there are conventions like E3, gamescom, GDC and so on. There are also company held events like Blizzcon or MineCon (hehe). Another thing would be organisations like MLG, who organize the big scale tournaments. A similar organization in Germany would be ESL (electronic sports league).

I want to find a niche somewhere in there and from there I want to see where it goes. I'm not bound to place or anything. Allthough I have my family here in Cologne and I really LOVE this city, I want to see something new.

I have been here long enough, even doing my internship here. After my studies it will be time for some change