All times are UTC + 1 hour

It is currently July 5th, 2020, 17:43

Post subject: Skirmish - Hard AI
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 19:52 
Newcomer

Can someone explain to me how the hard AI works compared to easy and medium? I found the difficulty ramp immensely different from the other two. I'll go as far to say the hard AI has some kind of advantage in how scrolls are played. Perhaps pre-loaded decks that are not randomized or the ability to draw specific hard counters when needed? Any insight into its mechanics would be appreciated. Thanks
  Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Skirmish - Hard AI
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 21:03 
General

In-game name: Zylus
Well, the Hard AI has both better decks AND a better algorithm to figure out which scroll to play. It looks several turns in the future, so it might seem very strong at times, but it certainly doesn't "cheat" in terms of preloaded hands or something.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 22:19 
Newcomer

Perhaps I interpreted your response incorrectly but If the AI has the ability to look at its future cards (cards not yet drawn) this would be considered an advantage. An advantage to me would be having the ability to do things the other player could not. For newer players like myself encountering an AI that doesn't take into account normal game rules runs contrary to fair play. Playing skirmish is a fun and viable way to collect gold and expand ones arsenal but to be inflicted with an advantageous AI seems dishonest.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 23:02 
Spearman

In-game name: Ramen
He just said it doesn't cheat, ie have a pre-loaded hand or presumably seeing the next few draws. By looking at the next few turns I'm guessing it means closer to deploy units and maneuver them with the thought of the next few turns of surviving, much like how you or I would think.

The easier AI most likely evaluates only what's in its hand and the current board state, so they don't think about blocking idols as cleanly or covering units. There's a lot for an AI to take in without resorting to actual cheating/foresight. I agree the hard mode seems leagues above the others, but not any more than a skilled human opponent would.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 05:02 
Spearman

In-game name: Codex_Arcanum
Mojang confirmed a while back that the AI does not cheat - think it was on the scrollsdev.tumblr.com page.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 16:11 
Newcomer

Very well, if that's the consensus. Just some final thoughts from a psychological perspective. If new players are unable to create wins they will become discouraged from playing. I believe the success of HS is founded on this principle. The RNG element creates an even number of losses to win ratio and if this is out of balance one may feel cheated. Currently the hard AI seems out of balance, probably not so for advanced players but for new arrivals the loss ratio is quickly noticeable. Is this because the AI has better cards and an advance algorithm and the other player does not or is this because the AI RNG element is advantageous. I suppose its for each player to decide.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 18:01 
Vanguard

In-game name: CuriousCat
Once you get to a certain skill level in scrolls, you can consistently (like 99%) beat the Hard AI with any strong competitive deck (and a lot of decks that would struggle against a human player).

Players that aren't ready for hard AI (either skill or deckwise), you should stick to medium.

The skill difference between medium and AI is big, but I wouldn't want them to make hard AI any easier as you are implying. I guess they could add a fourth skill level in between.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 20:14 
Newcomer

I've just started playing hard skirmishes and right away I noticed how quickly the ai was able to cast spells with almost no resources. See photo here: http://imgur.com/ktiqfhL

Maybe I'm missing something.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 21:05 
Vanguard

In-game name: Lahopaa
grimmscrolls wrote:
I've just started playing hard skirmishes and right away I noticed how quickly the ai was able to cast spells with almost no resources. See photo here: http://imgur.com/ktiqfhL

Yes you are, this line "-Your opponents units start with Soldier's Bond"

It's a bit annoying that you can't find this out without actually having the card in your collection and reading it, but soldier's bond has replenish that basically gives the AI 2 free wild resources every time it casts a creature. And that 2 wild was used to cast champion ring.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2015, 01:48 
Scholar

grimmscrolls wrote:

LahoPaa said already so I may not need to repeat, but you're confusing the Daily Trials which have special conditions with the Skirmish AI which is just regular decks varying in strength/regular rules.