Visit the forums Visit the wiki
It’s been a Blast Automaton!
Date: Mon 29 Jun, 2015 5:25 PM Views: 8232
Image

Hi everyone,

After much deliberation, we’ve come to an important decision that we’d like to share: Echoes will be the last major content patch for Scrolls. We won’t be adding features or sets from now on, though we are planning to keep a close eye on game balance.

Scrolls will still be available to purchase for the time being, and our servers will run until at least July 1st, 2016. All future proceeds will go towards keeping Scrolls playable for as long as possible.

The launch of the Scrolls beta was a great success. Tens of thousands of players battled daily, and many of them remain active today. Unfortunately, the game has reached a point where it can no longer sustain continuous development.

We’ve had a great time working on Scrolls, and appreciate every last player who’s downloaded our game. Extra big thanks to the most dedicated members of our community; some of you have logged in almost every day since release and dedicated a large portion of your time to dominating the leaderboards and taking care of new players. We salute you, honourable scrolldiers.

We will do our best to answer any questions you might have on the standard channels.

Thanks for reading, everybody.

The Scrolls team <3
Comments
GlitheronMon 29 Jun, 2015 5:33 PM
:shock::shock::shock:
LahoPaaMon 29 Jun, 2015 5:47 PM
RIP Scrullz (for reals this time)

Had fun, thanks for the game and especially the community!

Will probably hang around till the end and hope to see other guys as well. Would be cool if people take the game closing as a reason to play more as long as we still can instead of abandoning it early.
GlitheronMon 29 Jun, 2015 6:15 PM
I'm kind of new on this game. I'll started with the purchase of the Humble Bundle Card Game based. This move, I think, brought hundreds of players, but the revenue value of those players was pretty low, I assume. Maybe it's too late, now, but there's some ideas that would save the game:

1. Offline gaming. Mobile and tablet users will benefit greatly of that. Those platforms seriously lacks of good games for offline play. A game with preconstructed decks vs AI will be enough.

2. Drop the model Buy-an-Account. Use Buy-the-Game instead. Its more consistent with the player mentallity: People doesn't feel rip-off when enter a free software and discovers a hidden pay barrier. Keep full accounts free, but sell client software.

3. Drop Gems. Model F2P will hurt Scrolls. One of the things that makes Scrolls great is his model agaisnt F2P games. Maybe you can use gems for Cosmetic items, but there is not a good idea to monetize a game like scrolls.

4. Some people suggests go for Steam. I dont' know how this will work, but for sure it will bring a lot of attention to potencial players. Some kind of advertisement will work as well.

5. If Scrolls becomes discontinued, release it under a free license, both client and server parts. The work will continue with the effort of the community. If you don't want to share the code, simply release the binaries fo the server. It will free your own servers, reducing costs.

6. Just a crazy idea: Introduce a "Custom Scroll" generator, like Custom Matches. The idea behind that is for let the players update the scrolls base. Introduce a way to programming scrolls and a way to test those scrolls created, and periodically, the most popular Custom Scrolls will be added to the "Main" database.

7. Refereer program, for increase the wellingness of bring friends by the very same players. Mouth-to-Mouth work.

8. Kickstarter campaigns for new updates.

9. Ask companies for sponsorized cosmetics. Some games work well with this system. Maybe a flag with a company logo as Idol, or a crest in an armor set.

Other ideas are welcome.
ChiefBromdenMon 29 Jun, 2015 6:30 PM
Glitheron if you want your suggestions to be seen and discussed better put them on reddit ;)
GobasMon 29 Jun, 2015 6:31 PM
GreenOneMon 29 Jun, 2015 6:37 PM
The Issue/Question:
Mans, anyone, please tell what are the exact issues with moving Scrolls over to Steam?

How I see it:
Accounts: could be moved via e-mailing new Steam keys.
Expenses: kickstarter.
Valve's share: increase the price, sell cosmetics, playerbase & steam advertisement will cover it all, I bet it.

Thus game would stay alive, get tons of new people, generate income, be viable to be developed further.

Most importantly:
I'm sure you know all that and there is something community doesn't. So, please, tell what the obstacle is, maybe with community we can overcome it together!

I hope moving to Steam is possible, thus it'd generate the income so you, developers, can keep it going and be thriving along with the game and community =)

Edit: made a thread on Reddit, support is appreciated:
Clicky: "Saving Scrolls"
WarrenderMon 29 Jun, 2015 6:44 PM
There's really only one issue with moving to Steam. It will only happen if Microsoft (the current owners of Mojang) want to.

I don't really see that happening so it might be time to bid farewell to this game.
GlitheronMon 29 Jun, 2015 8:20 PM
ChiefBromden wrote:

I'm not a reddit user, but there are just some ideas. Anyone can post them on reddit or anywhere else.
JomangoMon 29 Jun, 2015 9:28 PM
So, what's the exact reason for the discontinuation of Scrolls?

I'm assuming it's not profitable enough, but is that all there is? Because if so, then it seems they are giving up quite easily.

Scrolls is a niche game, it was never going to be the next big thing. But for being a niche online ccg, it's a very good one. Easily more rich and deep than many others like it, that ARE profitable. So it stands to reason that Scrolls can carve out a place in the market for itself aswell.

So far it hasn't done so, but it also has had little to no marketing so far. The only thing helping it in the first place is that it's developed by mojang, but seeing how different Scrolls is from Minecraft that's a mixed blessing, as it doesn't draw the target audience.

So I think, by getting the word out, Scrolls can still be saved. We as a community can help with it. Of course, Mojang/microsoft need to want to save it, hence why I wonder if the game not being a commercial succes is the only obstacle. But if it is, we can help right? Stream scrolls, let's play it, share it with friends. Hell, even a kickstarter was mentioned.

The reason I'm so passionate about it is that I was working on a game of my own, very similar in design to scrolls. It was slow process, and in the research I was doing for it I found the Scrolls beta and realized it was exactly the kind of game I wanted to make. So I cancelled my project and bought the game. Scrolls was made for me. Would be a terrible shame to lose it so soon.

So what do you say? Let's try and work together to save scrolls?
#Savescrolls
AndIMustMaskMon 29 Jun, 2015 10:28 PM
had a feeling this was going to die once microsoft bought mojang. though the irrational hate/corporate stuff stopping a move to say, steam (with it's staggering userbase and ease of game acquisition), or doing literally any sort of ad campaign whatsoever was already a death sentence--cant get people into a game if nobody knows about it, even with word of mouth.

i'm planning to pop in and play from time to time, but with this being official, my interest is completely shot
Yann1989Mon 29 Jun, 2015 11:37 PM
I guess it had to happen some day. My only wish is that we can play this game in the future. Please don't shut down the server, or you'll be bad boyz.
RedNNetTue 30 Jun, 2015 12:07 AM
Probably not possible, but what about supporting volunteer development, like mods but centralized (because the game has to be the same for people to play matches against each other.)

I think this is a wise decision. I'm not happy that development is stopping, but the devs could be working on games that people will actually play. Why work on a game that only entertains a few thousand people when you could work on a game that will entertain far more?
Money is probably a factor, but it isn't evil to drop development. Microsoft isn't going to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop a game which no one plays. Mojang would've done the same when it was independent of Microsoft.
ZhivagoTue 30 Jun, 2015 12:33 AM
Guys! You need just translate the game. I am sure this only problem to make your game more popular. I russian, by the way, and don't speak in english well, and it`s hard to me to play in Scrolls.
clamlolTue 30 Jun, 2015 1:00 AM
Well this is a sad 200th post D: I wasn't expecting it so soon since the game's only been out for 9ish months. I only have a couple of suggestions for now:

-Focus on iOS. It's really starting to seem silly that the game's been out on Android for so long but it's still unavailable on iOS, so if there's anything you can do to speed up its release on that platform, it'll be much appreciated (and a source of income.

-Localize the game. Before the Scrolls servers shut down, if you can roll out an update that will allow users to bind their Mojang accounts to a handful of devices/Game Center account or Google Play account and save their collections, it'll allow them to keep battling the AI, which is better than nothing. LAN matches would be nice since I feel like the game deserves to keep a multiplayer element, but if it's too much work to implement that's understandable.

Also, on an unrelated note, it'd be awesome if on the day of the shutdown you gave a Scrolls Minecraft cape to anyone who's managed to acquire at least 3 of each scroll. Not even sure I'll still be playing Minecraft 1 year from now, but you never know.
AsshatTue 30 Jun, 2015 1:34 AM
What crap, they never even gave the game a fair chance. Little to no advertisement combined with a somewhat slow development and the crystal system killed it.

Scrolls is one of better online CCG out there in terms of art and gameplay. It's the market strategy they used that's unprofitable, not the game.

You could never actually pay to play in this game, crystals would only get you so far and with the black market being a recent addition this alienated alot of people that just wanted to put down the cash to get the deck they wanted and didn't want to spend hours trading to do so. This kept the player base small and was really a loss of potential profits for Mojang.

Hell they could of at least considered something like what Hearthstone does with its raid encounters to generate income.

As much as the F2P system can be a cancer it really is one of the best ways to keep a game like this profitable and growing. I Hope someone buys the rights and makes a actual proper system for F2P so the game can live :(
NeoharrymenTue 30 Jun, 2015 3:26 AM
No no no... You can't go out on such a good update ;)

You have to kill the game slowly with rampant power creep first and them let all the annoyed players walk away, sighing and reminiscing about the glory days, like the path Hearthstone is going down ;)

In all seriousness, the community knows what it must feel like for you to close down this game. We know what pain you are going through right now. But not all hope is lost: maybe we can capture a fragment of what made scrolls great in an offline version with the trials and AI matches (perhaps even an "expert" AI). Even if it will only be a :decay revnant :decay of the original, this would mean that scrolls will :energy echomaton :energy on throughout history. We are all :order decimated :order by the closure of this game but, perhaps, it can be a :growth budding retreat :growth
zakkerTue 30 Jun, 2015 5:04 AM
I just say this, developers should make game under GNU license or game is just going to die slowly maybe they sell it to others maybe but i dont think so they are going to let it down and die. In my opinion this makes me think twice before i buy another game from mojang if they just seize game in 2 years from publishing the game it kinda says something from the company not thinking for players who purchased the game.
(and it is kinda funny they sell the game "Scrolls will still be available to purchase for the time being" when they say this "our servers will run until at least July 1st, 2016") They pretty mutch say we take your money but this game is going to be dead so if you want to try?

For me playing scrolls ends here.
GardrunTue 30 Jun, 2015 5:39 AM
Such a shame, and the game now is better than it's ever been! Recently, Echoes, but potentially more importantly custom matches; a feature which allows the creative minds of the community to add to the game and vary things up.

I may be all kinds of mistaken, but I do believe you guys were going in the right direction.

I'm not holding out hope (Microsoft), but it would be a shame if all your hard work would go to waste. If there is a way to do something more with Scrolls so it can be used without the official servers would be wonderful.

At any rate, thanks for the game, the effort and hard work. Also, the art for Bear Paw. ;)
ViolentineTue 30 Jun, 2015 6:27 AM
Can I get a refund?
joew123Tue 30 Jun, 2015 6:52 AM
What!?! No! Scrolls is too good to just disappear!
rusticdogTue 30 Jun, 2015 7:07 AM
It is indeed sad to hear.

Still, had a blast and got a year left to enjoy the game for what it is.

Big thanks to the devs and CMs!
BlackFogTue 30 Jun, 2015 12:36 PM
Very sad indeed, but not very surprisingly since MS bought Mojang.

It would be nice if Scrolls could be open source in future like they did it with .NET. But have low hopes since opening .NET is surely only for making more profit in the end and that would not be the goal for Scrolls...
TrivialTurtleTue 30 Jun, 2015 2:01 PM